Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover a sewerage inspection point?

DavidPullinger
Just Starting Out

How to cover a sewerage inspection point?

Please see attached photos of the sewerage inspection point outside my house. Its concrete pad is badly damaged and was wondering whether I can add a cover to the inspection point as opposed to replacing the concrete pad? 

Kind regards

Dave

Screenshot_20230111-084144_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230111-084144_Gallery.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover a sewerage inspection point?

Hello @DavidPullinger

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about covering your sewer inspection point.

One issue that worries me is that the inspection top is at the same level as your driveway. Putting anything on top of the sewerage cap becomes a potential trip hazard because anything over it makes it taller than your driveway. In the interest of safety, I recommend rebuilding the concrete pad but with a much thicker and larger footprint. In this manner, should anything accidentally drive over it the pad will not break apart.

Unfortunately, you never know when you or the council will need to use the sewerage inspection point. In order to disguise the sewerage cap, I suggest painting it so that it blends in with the driveway. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Jewelleryrescue and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @DavidPullinger  and @EricL 

That slab was reenforced  with steel approx 50mm thick  concrete pad floating in loose sand which is ok for paths but next to a drive way well trucks or cars  could be hitting it and will  do that damage.  I would want to lower that pipe level with drive way if possible or slope cement up to it I would want to fill that whole triangle with min 100mm  concrete with drilled in reo (  Purple) to surrounding concrete so slabs always stay level together,

The triangle  slab sounds  hard but not really  a ozito  rotary hammer drill will quickly make side holes for reo(purple lines) and  just level concrete  to cement edges . Cant hurt to add foam expansion joint  along egdes poke the reo through it into  concrete. (Blue line )  Add more  reo mesh (red)    Brown 100mm min outer cement formwork.  On a  construction site  we  would cemset  (glue ) the reo into  the drive way but I use friction fit domestic (tap them gently in to  concrete surrounds)

While your at it extend  your drive way wider all the way  might fit an extra car I cant see surrounds to advise on that matter

New slabNew slab

David I suspect any low cover over it would be run over eventually by some ones car . a taller column would be easier to see  when reversing but also hit by car  on occasions one in 4 years?  As it is close to drive way.

@EricL  why isnt that pipe smashed up too? Steel  lid but whats  underneath?  Broken and cracked a possibility. how does it survive and not concrete,  Steel  pipes?

Hello @Jewelleryrescue

There could be any number of reasons the sewerage cap has not broken off. The soil around it might have compacted to the point that it supports the body of the sewerage cap. It might be assembled with an angle underground thereby redirecting the force applied to it. It could also be set in concrete at a much lower level that we are not aware of. Perhaps it's an old fitting that's welded onto a cast iron pipe. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @DavidPullinger 

You best  dig around your pipe  clearing the broken concrete and inspecting the pipe  for damage too  just as a  precaution.

Can I please advise to tape that area off or put a big bucket over the  pipe to help  people avid driving or tripping on your exposed pipe

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects