Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover stormwater and sewage drains?

shumm
Growing in Experience

How to cover stormwater and sewage drains?

IMG_2689.jpeg

IMG_2688.jpeg

IMG_2687.jpeg

   

Hi all,

I have two issues at hand regarding closing drains:

1) the sewage drain has no cover or cap or mesh. Is this normal? It’s been this way since we bought the house earlier in the year and I’m sure this invites vermin? What can I use to cover this up? 

2) the neighbour’s trees shed so many leaves and flowers (jacaranda, Chinese elm and some others). We are constantly having to scoop out the stormwater pits and drains. Is there a leaf guard or mesh I could pop over them to avoid the leaves constantly clogging them? 

Photos attached (first one of the sewage drain). Really appreciate any suggestions / ideas!

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: mesh to cover stormwater drains and sewage drain

Agreed open drains are an invitation to vermin in addition to looking unsightly, anything that enters such an opening could lead to blocked drain issues at a later stage requiring costly Plumbing intervention.

A PVC grate can be fitted to the open drain but may require sourcing an appropriately sized product similar to 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-100mm-pvc-dwv-domed-grate_p0285502

A leaf basket can be fitted under your drain grate to catch leaves and debris before it clogs your drain/pit @ https://www.bunnings.com.au/everhard-leaf-basket_p4770228

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: mesh to cover stormwater drains and sewage drain

Hi @shumm,

It's great to see that @DIYGnome has already provided some helpful advice.  

It's normal to see an open terracotta sewage pipe, but they typically have a grate covering them. Your grate is still in situ but has rusted away. Installing a grate or converting it to a closed inspection outlet would be a possibility. I'd recommend you enlist the services of a professional to determine whether the outlet can be closed off.

I'm not aware of any specific mesh that is designed to go over your stormwater grates. Aluminium flyscreen could potentially be used or shadecloth, but you'd need to regularly sweep off the debris so it doesn't prevent water from entering the grate. Just be aware that in the event of a major downpour, if the grates are covered with a fine mesh, they'll quickly block, which could result in flooding.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects