Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a timber staircase?

michaeljohn
Just Starting Out

How to create a timber staircase?

Hi,

im after helping changing the tile/ concrete backyard stairs into timber stairs. Anyone have any advice of how to best go about this?

FCCAD728-352F-460B-9AB5-8BAE1D8915DB.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: help creating stairs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @michaeljohn. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating stairs.

Were you looking at removing the concrete stairs entirely and re-creating them with timber, or do you want to clad over the concrete with timber? Also, could you please show us an image of the side of the staircase so we can better assess how it is constructed? Once we have those details, I trust our knowledgeable members will have plenty of helpful suggestions for completing your project.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your project and offering assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi, hoping to just clad over them with timber.

Thanks for clarifying @michaeljohn.

As Mitch requested, could you please show us an image of the side of the staircase so we can better assess how it is constructed? 

Jason

132E7885-6EAE-4585-9DD8-ECFF376864D5.jpeg

671B068C-1274-4C6F-9C29-AAC3D718099C.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @michaeljohn 

Thank you very much for the added photos. I propose having a look at using decking panels in combination with 70mm x 35mm H3 treated timber framing. I've drawn up a quick sketch below to give you an idea of what it might look like. 

However, using this system will increase the height of the first step by 54mm, it might become a tripping hazard, hence a platform must be built at the bottom of the stairs to prevent this from happening. This extra 54mm will also impact the handrail. which means that the handrail must be modified by 54mm as well. 

I suggest visiting your local council and finding out about the rules and regulations regarding stair construction. This will give you the necessary information on how low or high the stairs should be.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects