Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extract BBQ smoke from outdoor kitchen?

Jimi
Making a Splash

How to extract BBQ smoke from outdoor kitchen?

I am after an option that may assist in extracting bbq smoke from this area. I dont want to install a rangehood and was thinking of something along the lines of a whirly bird.

IMG_20230323_171521.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to extract BBQ smoke from outdoor kitchen?

Good Morning @Jimi 

Why does smoke like hanging around BBQ's always!  A whirly bird sounds like a good idea but how about an exhaust fan at the peak of the arch on the left hand side facing away to extract smoke on non windy/breezy days? I was looking for a square mounted wall fan but maybe something like this 45cm Industrial Fan with some slats/screen on the last frame (to stop those mossies)?

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jimi,

Let me tag @EricL for his thoughts. 

Can I please ask why you don't want a rangehood? Is it because you don't want anything obstructing your wonderful view? If so, Eric might be able to suggest very unobtrusive units...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jimi 

My apologies for the late reply, I've been looking over at some of the possible options for an exhaust system for your enclosed patio. I propose installing a wall mounted exhaust fan near where the rafters meet the beam. This will provide a continuous flow of air passing through the patio preventing the BBQ smoke from staying in the vicinity.

In regards to installing a whirly bird, it might not be as effective as you have an open roof assembly. When hot air is trapped in a ceiling cavity, they tend to escape through any gaps that are along the roofing structure. This escaping hot air is what moves the whirly bird, hot air passes through the blades of the whirly bird causing it to spin and promote air movement. But if there is no trapped hot air passing through the blades the whirly bird will not spin.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects