Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a gap between a house wall and exposed aggregate?

Jsuth19
Finding My Feet

How to fill a gap between a house wall and exposed aggregate?

I have exposed aggregate on my back patio (hate it) but theres a gap between it and the house about 1cm ish. 

How do i close/seal this gap?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Exposed aggregate gap between house and patio

Hi again Jsuth19,

Like your other enquiry, could we please trouble you for a photo or two of the gap? It will greatly assist other community members to provide more specific and helpful advice if they can see what you are working with.

Let us know if you need a hand uploading photos. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jsuth19 

Is the gap uniform in size and does it run the entire length of the wall? Would you happen to know how long that gap has been there? A picture of the gap would definitely help us diagnose the condition of the aggregate and the gap. 

Eric

it’s not uniform in size 

my partner tried to gap fill it which didn’t work because the aggregate rocks are so uneven 

B6F57B9A-1A55-4A20-9943-7049E0CFD569.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jsuth19,

Looks like you need to increase the flow of the caulking product by cutting the nozzle down. This will give you a larger bead of caulk that will fill the gap. Apply a large bead and then smooth it off whilst contouring it around the aggregate. I'd suggest popping on some gloves and using your finger dipped in soapy water. 

Your partner was almost there, but they hadn't used enough product. It will take some patience, but you'll be able to fill the gap adequately.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

He said it was hard to get a smooth finish because of the aggregate the smoothing was going up and down bumping over it.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Unfortunately, that will happen @Jsuth19. You won't be able to fill the gap with no other work. You need to lay down the bead of caulking and then smooth it out with your finger, working around and up to the pieces of aggregate. Tedious and time-consuming work, but there's no other solution I can think of that's going to be an instant fix.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects