Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap between Colorbond fence panel and bottom rail?

rjholloway
Just Starting Out

How to fill gap between Colorbond fence panel and bottom rail?

Hi, i have a Lysaught Smartascreen colourbond fence. The gap between the fence panel and the bottom rail fills with dirt over time and plants start growing in this gap. Is there a way to fill this gap so no dirt can get in this gap? I thought lysaught might make something but i cant find anything. Could fill it with silicon but thought there might be an off the shelf solution to save time. 

IMG_3943.jpeg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: fill in gap at bottom for colourbond fence panel and bottom rail

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rjholloway. It's excellent to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling a gap within a fence.

I can't say I've seen any off-the-shelf solutions for this issue. You could potentially cut sections of expansion foam and jamb them in the gaps. It should compress down small enough for the acute angle. Failing that, the foam can be used to fill up the majority of the depth and then a silastic can be used to fill the top. That will save wasting excess caulking material on the depth.

Let me mention a few of our knowledgeable members @Nailbag, @Dave-1 and @Jewelleryrescue to see if they have any nifty solutions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @rjholloway 

Having weeds grow against the fence in those little spots would make me a little bonkers :smile:

My first thought was maybe you could pour a slurry of concrete down them so it hardens and forms plugs? Not sure if the bottom is soil based or open the other side?

Second would be something like 5-8mm gravel as it would slow the weeds down plus make them easier to pull out.

Last thought depending on how you want it to look, fill with soil and throw a bunch of flower seeds or groundcover on that soil so it crowds out weeds? :smile: 

I like idea one or two most as I see them probarly working the best for least maintenence :smile:

A Friendly welcome to the Bunnings Community Page :smile: Hopefully you will find something within these pages to help you out!

Dave

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Hi @rjholloway I would use "Selleys Roof & Gutter Silicone" ($15) located in the paint department of your local Bunnings in each cavity If you don't already have one, you will also need a caulking gun. A cheapo is only $6.  I've done something similar to a garden shed so when it fills with rain water doesn't overload in to the shed itself.

Hope this helps 👍

Hi @rjholloway 

Ideally color bond supposed to be 50mm of the  ground to prevent what you are experiancing but ground levels change sometime and thats life.

The main issue with a  color bond rail is draining water at each  end to prevent premature corrosion in the  rail and that dirt of yours is not helping that design feature as  dirt is trapping moisture for longer periods.

So  I would highly recommend sand and cement  mix to fill the gaps with the sand cement mix angling water over the lip of the rail. to the  ground. 

This will fill the void and stop dirt falling in and plant  growth and all going well water will still flow out the reverse side of the fence as it was designed to  do.

Use a  reasonably firm cement mix as to not have wet cement block  both sides,  But even if that bottom rail 100% full of  cement I dont see it causing issues.

If you  wanted use some old  paint and seal the inner rail and sheet edges with a additional water barrier prior to cementing.  After  pressure washing the  gunk out.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fill gap between Colorbond fence panel and bottom rail?

Great to see you get plenty of ideas from our helpful community members @rjholloway.

Please let us know how you go. 

Looking forward to reading more about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. Welcome to the community.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects