Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix gap between lintel and window frame?

newbeginner
Just Starting Out

How to fix gap between lintel and window frame?

I've a large gap beneath the lintel and the upper side of the window frame. I'm not sure what the builder was thinking. Is there any solution to the situation. See the attached photo. The gap is about the height of one brick.

1000007285.jpg

1000007286.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: gap between lintel and window frame

Hello @newbeginner 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about filling the gap between your window and the lintel.

A good cosmetic patch would be to get a similar brick or a leftover piece in your shed and cut a thin profile using a grinder with a brick or stone cutting blade. You can then glue this piece into the gap using Selleys liquid nails and fill the surrounding space with Selleys 440g Medium Grey No More Gaps Bricks And Mortar Gap Filler.

However, if you don't have any leftover brick and wish to cover this gap, I suggest using a short piece of timber that is H3 treated. This will protect it from insect attack and can be used outdoors. You can use the same adhesive and filler that I suggested. But before you put into place, I suggest painting it the same colour as your brick wall so that it does not stand out. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fix gap between lintel and window frame?

Afternoon @newbeginner 

Well, think you win the prize for the oddest builder thois week :smile:

My ideas pretty much follow @EricL 's tho instead of painting the timber option the same colour as your brickwork, maybe colour it the same as your eve? I think the brick colour will be less noticable if you get a match otherwise I would go for the off white eve colour.

I would also like to say "Hello" :smile: Welcome to the community, its a great place to take a stroll through and see what others have come up with for almost the same issues! (We all have had a brick missing lol I had half a one for an aircon outlet) 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects