Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix irregular water meter?

Sunda
Cultivating a Following

How to fix irregular water meter?

Hi everyone,

I'm having a water meter query.

The water meter has been irregular. One moment, the meter seems to be running fast, next, slow down and stopped eventualy for a few minutes.

Then it starts again.

We had a plumber looking at it and even he was puzzled.

The council has also installed a new water meter, but the issue persists.

Am hoping someone might have similar experience and can advise what triggers that and the remedy.

We are pretty desperate, as we have to turn off the water at the main. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water meter running fast and slow and stop in cycles - Taps all turned off

Hi @Sunda,

Thank you for your question.

I would suggest contacting the water utility company in your area as it is likely their responsibility to maintain the meter. If a plumber has been to inspect and they can't seem to find an issue, the meter might have an internal issue that will require rectification.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members for their thoughts, @Dave-1, @Noyade, @Nailbag.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Jacob

Sunda
Cultivating a Following

Thank you JacobZ.

We have already contacted the council and they had replaced the water meter... but we still have a same issue.

Hence, I am hopping someone else who might be able to shine some light on this matter.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Sunda 

What a pain 😕 and yes I have had a similar experience and again am having another experience i will elaborate on in a sec...

First issue, the water meter running fast and then slow.

I didnt realise it but my meter was running slowly all the time.... for a LONG time by the look of it. Then one day after a bunch of rain I notied the ground bubbling, almost unseen with all the ground being wet from the soaking. I dig down and down a bit more and then bingo, waterspout! I had a "tiny" pinhole in a section of the waterpipe. I had the plumber fix it. There was no idea on how long it had been going on and the pipe looked like it had been "kinked" when it was installed decades ago before me. So first suggestion is to walk around your yard and look for greener patches. Pin holes can release a steady stream of water that can flucuate. and be unseen as in nothing shows on the topside.

Second issue, the water meter showing fluctuations

I am curently having this but the fluctuation is zero... lol So am keeping an eye on it over a period of time and taking photos to see how much is being used.

The second instance can be fixed by conatacting the water authority people, they may change the meter. The first could be the same, especially if you have an older meter.

Dave

Hi @Sunda If the meter has been changed then unfortunately it sounds like you have a leak somewhere. A plumber can pressure test the line from the meter to the house to start the diagnostics as to where the leak is as its costing you $.

Hope its resolved quickly

Nailbag

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sunda 

Excellent suggestions from @Nailbag and @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I propose checking all your taps in the house and listening to your toilets for slow leaks. Permanent wet patches in your garden or front yard are also a quick indicator that there is a leak underground.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Actually that’s a great suggestion @EricL   slow leaking cisterns especially with older homes is very common. Water stains in the back of the bowl is a sure indication. Though probably not enough to noticeably spin the water meter 🤷‍♂️

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects