Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix sloping gap between fence and driveway?

Case
Finding My Feet

How to fix sloping gap between fence and driveway?

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to tackle the sloped area between my fence and driveway, especially since there aren't enough retaining walls to stabilize the soil. Should I build another retaining wall next to the current ones? 

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-15 at 9.33.18 AM.jpeg

Thank you :smile: 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix sloping gap between fence and driveway?

Hello @Case 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your driveway slope.

I agree with your idea of building a retaining wall next to your driveway. This will prevent that side from eroding away if there is an intense downpour. I recommend using standard sleepers such as the 200 x 50mm Sleeper H4 Sienna MicroPro 2.4m.

I've drawn up a sample sketch to give you an idea of what it could look like.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Case 

That spot looks like a perfect place for a small gabion wall to be put in place :smile: 

All that you need to do is to dig out and level the ground where you want the retaining wall / gabion wall to go. 

You can buy precut gabion baskets from Bunnings Jack 80 x 40 x 40cm Rectangle Landscaper's Plant Support Garden Gabion and they do come in smaller sizes.

Maybe two and a half baskets worth lengthwise (they come in 800mm and 400mm lengths), you could fill them with whatever smallish rubble and just face the bit you will see from the front with nicer stones. Once you have them in place then some geocloth to stop the soil flowing intothe basket can be laid against the side and the area backfilled.

Gabion wall windbreak  is four of the baskets I am refering to.

Front corner gabion wall  is what I am proposing but only one basket high along your fence line but not touch it (leave a 5cm gap or 10cm gap would be better) 

Troll through my bookmarks and you will see how you can build your own if you want. They are incredibly easy and so far I have had none fail or shift on me. One thing to note is the ground under them is best to be undisturbed or packed. I mostly went for dig and scrape off the top 5cm with the shovel. 

Dave

Case
Finding My Feet

Thank you @EricL and @Dave-1 , I appreciate the creativity in both of your ideas! :smile:

Looking forward to hearing from @Nailbag 's recommendation

Hi @EricL , are we able to build a new retaining wall directly adjacent to the existing ones, or should there be some space left between them?

Hi @Dave-1 , could the gabion wall match the height of the driveway, or would you suggest it be taller?

Thanks all :smile: 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Case 

Its pretty much up to you, tho I would keep teh area between it and the driveway as garden not grass, No point in temptation to rest a car wheel on it :smile:

You could go a little high and face the rocks above the ground to be a feature, you could also go for a low bench effect (Check out my bookmarks) as that comes up really nice as well.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Case 

I suggest placing a 100mm gap between the retaining walls. It's important to be able to access the bottom of your retaining wall. I propose just having the retaining wall just as high as your driveway.  

If yo need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @Case I'm in agreeance with the retaining wall (50mm x 200mm) solution as well with an aggi pipe between the wall and fence. I always recommend angling the retaining wall slightly forward (just off plumb) using Gal post as this will assist in retaining the weight of the garden to go in front. Staple black plastic on the garden side of the wall to prevent any water seepage.

regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 11.15.41 PM.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects