Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix the side end of Sunlite roofing sheet?

Frank2024
Getting Established

How to fix the side end of Sunlite roofing sheet?

I could not find any F-shaped side end cap for  this Sunlite 8mm sheet. So I might have to fix the side end directly to batten timber with screw. Then I may overhap sheet at least 5 cm from the last rafter and batten end to prevent water flow along the last rafter. Is there any better way to finish side end? Is there any small strip I can to put in the side end so that water does not  flow over the side end or ensure water follow straight down to the gutter?  Or do I have to add facia and gutter along the side by the last rafter?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how should I fix to batten the side end of Sunlite 8mm?

Hi  @Frank2024 

It  sounds  like you  need  a below item   but  hard to  picture you situation 100%  with out picture but see  if we are close.

Suntuf 3.0m x 8mm Clear Sunlite Polycarbonate End Cap 

I/N: 1010480

$10.30

• Economical 3.0mtr length
  • UV Stable Polycarbonate
  • Easy DIY installation
  • Keeps out moisture and dust
  • Flexible
Sunlite 8mm Twinwall (thickness) is DIY friendly roofing sheet designed to offer the consumer the next step in design when considering replacing their old tired patio roof. The sheet size of 610mm wide allows transition within a budget with sheets lengths available up to 3.0mtrs in length - available in Clear & Solar Grey.

This roofing system uses a Polycarbonate 'H' Joiner as well as a Polycarbonate 'End Cap. The End Cap simply clip onto the top and bottom edges of the roof sheet and can be used in the continual length, even when intersecting at the H Joiner point. A full coloured tear off brochure is available in store giving pictorial illustrations and how to - when installing Sunlite 8.

Or  will this  work a channel that screws onto the timber and slots the roof into it and  there are foams  made for it to sandwiche the sheet to stop water leaks.  You may need to seal channel tframes joining point  with silicone,

Suntuf 300 x 45 x 20mm Windspray Back Channel Frame I/N: 1010803 $24

Thank you for your advice but tt was  not about the bottom end cap nor the top end. Even 20mm back flow stop cap would be for corrugated poly carbonate roof; not suitable for 8mm flat twinwall sheet.   I attach this picture cut from Palram's Youtubeside end.png  It appears the last sheet is fixed directly to batten with a wide headed screw. Unless I can find 8mm F shaped side cap I would do like this picture. Even it will not be easy to get this wide headed screws

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Frank2024 

Will you be putting the F channel at the side of the sheet instead of the top and bottom? Are you worried about rainwater falling off the side? Did you have another purpose for the F channel. Technically if your roofing frame has a fall, water will fall down towards the lower side instead of travelling to the left- or right-hand side of the sheet. 

If you can give us a bit more information, I'm confident we can offer more suggestions.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Frank2024
Getting Established

Re: How to fix the side end of this roofing sheet?

Yes that’s my concern. F shaped end side capa available onlr to Sunlite 10mm. Water even can flow to top necause od wind. A lot of wster will flow over along the side  end When you have wind in cross direction

Re: How to fix the side end of this roofing sheet?

Hi @Frank2024 

You might like to install the sheeting to the batten with the wide-headed screws and then install an aluminium profile along the side to prevent water from falling off. The profile can be stuck in place with clear silicone to the topside of the sheeting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects