Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve drainage on the side of the house?

Finding My Feet

How to improve drainage on the side of the house?

Hi All, 

So the house we recently bought is on a little bit of a slope and rain can pool at on corner of the house and can go into the subfloor as it runs off the side of the house, particularly in really heavy downpours. 

Also one of the downpipes on the front awning isn't pumped in to storm water (as there isn't any plumbing around this area) adding to the problem, see photos, (the bamboo is also now gone on the side of the house). 

Any advice on how to best manage this would be great.

Thanks again,








Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Drainage help?

Hello @zmitty 


Please note that it might be necessary to engage a licensed plumber to complete this work. If in doubt, please contact your local building authority before you begin.


I suggest looking carefully where the flow of water is coming from. Once you 've determined the pathway, I recommend thinking of a way to divert the water into your stormwater pipe. It could involve putting in an Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel in certain sections to offset the flow of water. It might also be necessary to add more storm water pipes to your existing set. 


But once you have an idea of how it might be done, I suggest speaking to your plumber first before you start buying materials. Your plumber will be aware of the rules and regulations of your local council regarding drain systems and water diversion. Plus, they are the only ones allowed to link your new drain system into your stormwater pipe.


If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.




See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects