Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a gate onto brickwork?

AntonT
Cultivating a Following

How to install a gate onto brickwork?

Hi. I want to install this gate outside to replace an existing iron gate outside. I will cut it down to the height of the brickwork:
1833 x 900mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Horizontal Slat Gate - Bunnings Australia

The current space is 1030mm, with brick columns 1650mm high and 350mm wide. 

So I am thinking of attaching 2 x 42mm merbau "posts" to one side (effectively making a 84mm post) and a 1 x 42mm merbau post on the other side, as a 90mm post and a 42mm will be too wide. About 1650mm long so it looks nice and doesn't leave big gaps.

My questions are:

1. Does this sound reasonable?

2. What fasteners would be best to use to attach the timber to the brickwork?

3. Should the posts be 42mm x 42mm or 42mm x 90mm to be able to fit on the hinges and lock?

4. What hinges should I use?

5. Any recommendations as to what type of lock I should use? It would need to be opened from either side, and I'd prefer not to cut a hold to put my hand through. Lockable preferred but not mandatory.

6. Would you put the double-post on the lock side or the hinge side?

Thank you for your time and help.

Side view of brickworkSide view of brickworkFront view of brickworkFront view of brickwork

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing a gate onto brickwork

Hello @AntonT 

Thanks for sharing your question about installing a gate. To balance the gap between the fence, I suggest installing 90 x 35mm Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine - 2.4m in an "L" pattern with the hinges installed in between. The side not anchored to the brick post is where you'll screw the gate onto. 

I recommend installing a similar configuration on the other side but using 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine 3.0m. It's not necessary to use the large 90mm x 35mm as it will not carrying any weight.

I suggest using either Dynabolts or AnkaScrews to hold the timber onto the brick post. I recommend using the Ikonic Satin Chrome Digital Entry Lock as a way to secure your door.

I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how it might look like. The final image at the bottom shows what it could look like once the timber pieces have been painted in Merbau.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W , @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

AntonT gate1.jpgAntonT gate2.jpgAntonT gate3.jpgAntonT gate4.jpgAntonT gate5.jpgAntonT gate6.jpgAntonT gate7.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AntonT
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Eric. I never considered framing it out like that. Really helpful. Thank you.

I might look at how I might adapt it to use Merbau instead of pine, which I think would look great just oiled rather than painted. But the concept and drawings are really helpful. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can also colour the Pine in Merbau stain @AntonT. Please keep us updated on your project and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

AntonT
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Mitchell. I will. 

AntonT
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

I've just thought of an issue with this design in this circumstance.

I think that this method looks better from one side as you see less of the posts. As I am hoping for street appeal (as the hedge and plants partly obscure the inside, the best look for this would be for it to swing outwards.

The issue is that I can't really have it swinging outwards onto the footpath, as I don't think that's safe (and I'm guessing the council might not be happy with that).

Your comments would be appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AntonT,

By moving the position of the hinge, you could change the opening direction without exposing substantially more of the posts. However, you're inevitably going to see some amount of post when using a gate smaller than the opening.

What about just bolting a 90mm Merbau post to one side? That will leave an opening of 940mm, and the gate is 900mm. The remaining 40mm will be for the hinge and locking mechanism. Alternatively, if you'd like the installation more symmetrical, you could cut the post down the middle into two 90 x 45mm sections and have one on either side.

Remember that the gate and posts width don't need to be exactly equal to the gap. Around 10-20mm can be used for the hinges, and a gap up to around 20mm is fine for the side where you'll have the locking mechanism. If the gate and posts were the same widths as the gap, you might have trouble opening it depending on how you constructed the gate.

Mitchell

AntonT
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Mitchell. That's great advice.

I'll buy the gate and hinges and do a rough fit (not bolted) with some rubbish posts I have here to see the gaps before I buy the new post(s).

This is an awesome forum and I really appreciate getting advice from people with experience.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @AntonT; we're here to help. Also, we'd love to see some images of the finished project when you're done.

Mitchell

AntonT
Cultivating a Following

Rough fit is looking great. I decided on the matching pre-oiled Merbau "posts" which look terrific. I will cut down the height, and decide on hinges (maybe self closing?) and the latch/lock. I'll post the final result when I'm done, likely next week. 

IMG_20230605_140316.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects