Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a pet or animal barrier to the subfloor underneath the house?

VijayWani
Finding My Feet

How to install a pet or animal barrier to the subfloor underneath the house?

Hi there,

I have a gap between the land and the house. The house is standing on the aluminium stumps.I want to install meshed Pet / Animal barriers or baricates to this subfloor so that the animals or pets cant go under the house.

Can anybody advise me Subfloor.jpgstep by step process alongwith material list to execute this project.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a pet or animal barrier to the subfloor underneath the house?

Hello @VijayWani 

Thanks for sharing your question about installing a barrier underneath your house. For a long-lasting barrier, I propose building a mini-fence structure that will not only prevent animals from going under your house but enhance its look at the same time.

The general idea is to install fence posts 1.8 meters apart and place timber rails between them. You then cut down the palings to the correct height and cover the gap under your house. To get that picket fence effect install the rail to the back of the fence post so that the palings will be recessed making the posts prominent.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @redbournreno for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to install a pet or animal barrier to the subfloor underneath the house?

Afternoon @VijayWani 

A couple of suggestions and also I do like @EricL 's one as well.

If you mount a couple of horizontal timber rails to the piers then you could screw to them either

Matrix 2400 x 600mm Charcoal Coolabah Fence Extension  at $106 ea

or

Lattice Makers 1800 x 900mm Midnight Garden Screen Panel  at $128ea

Both could be cut down the center and used for two spans I was thinking. They also allow air to circulate under the house.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects