Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a shade canopy?

newbuilder
Just Starting Out

How to install a shade canopy?

IMG_7778.jpeg

  

I would like to install a canopy shade at the end of my verandah and attach it to some sort of poles as you can in the picture there is a short metal fence. So just to out there. I’ve purchased the canopy. I just don’t know what I need to be able to install. 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how do i install a shade canopy

Hi @newbuilder 

Your new  sail  cloth is 3 by 4 meter of the end of the verandah . Well  sail cloth need some decent mounting points on your verandah  possibly starting at the corner post and stretching 1/3 the way along verandahs roofing box section. Or some  where else.  

So you most likly need some Eye bolts go though both sides of the box section roof  beam and screw tight and clamp onto the box section so It dosnt move in the wind.

Also you will need some strong steel posts  to attach the outer sail cloth corners  with the same  eye bolts for starters.  You will need  some space 150mm  between the poles and shade cloth to connect its loops too so it isnt flapping.  Adjustable by tying it looks.  

2x Australian Handyman Supplies Steel Fence Post 89 x 89mm x 3.0m Galvanised

I/N: 1140455   $140.50

4 x  Zenith M10 x 148 x 25mm Galvanised Eye Bolt   I/N: 4220697  $3.84

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to install a shade canopy?

A very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @newbuilder. We're excited to have you be part of our wonderful community of D.I.Y. enthusiasts who are sharing creative projects and handy D.I.Y. tips on the site everyday. 

Thanks for your question. While waiting for our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc to provide his expert opinion on installing your shade canopy, I recommend having a look at our Best Advice article How do you install a shade sail? It contains advice that you might find useful for this project.

Please keep us updated with your progress. We look forward to seeing your shade canopy installation.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a shade canopy?

It's great to see that @Jewelleryrescue has already provided some great advice @newbuilder.

Here's another step-by-step guide: How to install a shade sail.

Please let us know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects