Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install an outdoor Kaboodle kitchen on brick?

I_am_ColleenT
Getting Established

How to install an outdoor Kaboodle kitchen on brick?

IMG_3759.jpeg

I am preparing to install an outdoor kitchen in my alfresco, do i fix the cabinets direct to the bricks or is it best to put in a timber runner or cement sheet? 

Also what “screws” are recommended to fix to the brick? do i also need to use adhesive on brick? 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to install an outdoor Kaboodle kitchen on brick?

Hello @I_am_ColleenT

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're delighted to have you join us and look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects.

Thanks for your question. Looks like an exciting project. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to provide some advice as soon as he can. Let me also tag our ever-helpful members @Jewelleryrescue@RayaJane and @jeffjen in case they have any thoughts. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Do keep us updated as your project progresses. I'd love to see the final result.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @I_am_ColleenT 

It looks like your preparing to do a single level of cabinets, and you floor looks very flat and straight for starters so no real need to put in a  extra layer of flooring. your  cabinets have their own feet.

In fact if your joining the cabinets together it will form a solid unit and have its own inertia and not be moved easy so No real need to fix to the wall in some  cases.

There is the possibility the floor is slightly angled and you will want to screw cabinets to the wall to hold them flat and  leveled and adjust the feet downwards to compensate for floor  drop .

So inside the cabinet you are looking for the timber frame running across the back at the top you will need to drill 2 screw holes and mark the walls. 

Some times place cabinets in position drill the screw holes and  let the drill mark the wall behind Ie start drilling then take cabinet our and brick  drill holes rawl plugs or equivilant. Reposition cabinets and screw 40 mm timber screws into wall rawl plug solution fixing the cabinet ready for the bench top.

As  far as timber runner you might want a kick board under your cabinets running across multiple units will give a  level cabinet finish supporting front edge.  Or build a standard box frame  for units to sit on harder to do with a sloping floor as one side needs to be higher than the other, 

Enjoy  your  build.

thank there is actually a massive slope down and the last cabinet there is no more length in the legs to reach the ground

so i thought i could either put timber o. where the feet go to give them an extension or build a base which is going to be tricky due to the slope! 

i think im might try the leg option first! 

Hi @I_am_ColleenT,

How far off are you with the adjustments on the legs? A timber block under the far end will likely be a good solution or plastic packers.

These are the wall plugs you'll be screwing into and I don't believe there is a need to install sheeting or timber behind the cabinets.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is your build progressing @I_am_ColleenT? It would be great to see an update as outdoor kitchen projects are hugely popular with the Bunnings Workshop community.

Please also let us know if you need a hand with anything. We're here to help.

Jason

IMG_4376.jpeg

Almost done…..

Just need to put on handles and caulk…. any suggestions on what to use on bricks and bench?

That looks fantastic, @I_am_ColleenT; you must be SO pleased! 

Could you please provide a few more details on your question about what to use on bricks and bench? Were you wanting a caulking product to seal the rear edge of the bench? If so, you could use Sikaflex Pro+.

Mitchell

Yes I want seal between brick and bench so water (dirt and bugs) don’t go down the back! 

It’s tricky with the groves of the brickwork! 

Yes, the grooves in the bricks can make it trickier than a flat surface @I_am_ColleenT. Just take your time and make sure to tape off the adjacent surfaces.

Here's a helpful guide: How to apply silicone sealant.

Mitchell 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects