Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install privacy screen on patio posts?

norm741
Growing in Experience

How to install privacy screen on patio posts?

Hi,

Seeking ideas and advise on how to block off neighbors window in my patio.  I’m thinking about putting timber slats on the two posts with jacks screen up rear fix channels, not sure if it’s a good idea ? Please share if you have other suggestions. 
The width between two posts is about 2620mm, and I’m thinking to put timber slats above the cables rail to all the way up to near the top.

I have the below questions:

- Will it look good with timber slats just blocking the top half above the cables rail?  Any other suggestions?

- I’m not sure what metal are the posts made of, how can I tell?  I’m guessing they're steel or aluminum, will it be safe to drill into it to install the screen up channels and what type of screws should I be using?

- what type of timber slats should I be using?

Thanks for reading and any ideas will be appreciated! 

IMG_0081.jpeg

norm741
Growing in Experience

Re: How to install privacy screen on patio posts?

Thanks again for the advices, I will do some research on leach tannings as I have never thought of that before.  I hope it’s not too hard to clean off if it stains my rails or deck boards below, perhaps I can just do regular checks and clean up with soapy water? 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to install privacy screen on patio posts?

Good Morning @norm741 

The posts should be able to support horizontal slats as they are only covering thetop half. (They have to support the roof so they wiill be solid connection point). The swirly plastic is a suggestion to use instead of the slats. There is a link in my original post that shows the bunnings page with a range of privacy screens. I have considered these myself and like the lightness in weight and the different styles they have.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects