Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

Hi @lakiita,

I think the pavers would certainly look OK, but there might also be other options to consider. Bear in mind that those styles of pavers are typically designed to be bedded onto sand in the garden. For a more high-end finish, I'd recommend you go for a natural stone paver. If you wanted something more budget-friendly than travertine but still with a natural look, you could go for Outdoor Paver 60 x 60 x 2cm Porcelain Sabbia. Those would cost a very similar amount to the 40mm thick pavers and, in my opinion, would offer a far superior look.

These thinner pavers are laid similarly to tiles, so this step-by-step guide will be useful: How to lay floor tiles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks for your reply. Actually I was looking at those pavers as well because I did like the look of them but then the advantage of the concrete paver is the ability to get more if I mess up - I am very nervous about making mistakes as I think it will be very hard cutting the pavers to go around my columns. I have never tiled anything before and am not great with straight lines at the best of times.

My Dad seemed to think the pavers would be ok on top of concrete??

If I used the concrete pavers how would you lay it on top of concrete? My Dad thought cement in the border, sand fill between pavers with sand and seal - your thoughts on this? 

If I used the Porcelain Sabbia instead how would I lay that on top of concrete? 

I have annual leave in October and this is going to be my project so I want to decide so I can have all my materials ordered ready for some home reno fun. Have my Besser Block Bench all ready for assembly once the pavers are layed :smile: 

Also this is not for resale value just for my own joy :smile:

What tool would you recommend for paver/ tile cutting?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lakiita 

If you were to use the Outdoor Paver 60 x 60 x 2cm Porcelain Sabbia, I propose fixing it permanently into place using Dunlop 15kg Floorfix Tile Adhesive. However, using Brighton Masonry 300 x 300 x 50mm Sand Mypave Paver will require a sand base as my friend mentioned. Technically you would need a frame of sorts to keep the sand in place and prevent it from sliding out from under the paver.

In order to cut the tile, I suggest hiring the Electric Tile Saw Table. The paver can be cut using a grinder with a masonry blade. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

lakiita
Having an Impact

Ok I have decided the Porcelain paver is too big my house has a lot of movement and I think tiles that large would probably crack and end up looking dodgy. Pavers will still crack but won't look as bad I don't think. So now I just have to figure out how to do it - what do you use for the edges? One of the online tutorials I just looked at recommended putting 'geo filter fabric' on the bottom, then sand, then paver. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq3c7ZaZacA&t=345s

Is this an ok tutorial do you think?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lakiita,

Pavers won't crack as they are not glued down and float on a bed of sand.

You could put Geo-fabric down, but you'll note that in the tutorial, they have an edging course of pavers in place; perhaps they glued them down. 

Is this an elevated slab, and how high are the edges? Perhaps you could show us an image of them.

Mitchell

I think in the tutorial they mortared the edging pavers in place

My slab isn't elevated it's about 120mm lower than my house floor and it's approx 200mm thick (I think) I thought maybe I'd mortar the final row of tiles but not sure how to finish it. Not sure if the pics will help - excuse my messy floor 

Lower than floorLower than floorEdgeEdgeEdge of slabEdge of slabMore views of edgeMore views of edgecement slab 1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sounds like fixing the final row in position would be a good option and should help contain the internal pavers @lakiita. The face edges of the slab could be covered with timber or painted in a similar colour to the pavers.

Mitchell

oooh covering with timber is a nice idea - would that then also give me a frame to contain the bedding sand etc? How would I attach the timber to the cement? Actually it just occurred to me that if I do my edge first, mortar it in and have the height to cover the edge plus match the top of where my pavers would be that would then give me a frame to contain the bedding sand

Do I have the right idea? Maybe then I should consider a brick/ paved edging or timber but how would I attach the timber if I used timber? If I am using the cheap sand coloured pavers and the colours of my patio that I'm planning are this

https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...

do you think a grey trim paver would look nice or should I aim for the something that blends instead of contrast

I can't believe how many things I have to decide on. I really appreciate the continued advise

Do you think if I did the edge first............fixed in place. Followed by leading edge mortared in place - then did the rest with sand bedding etc How do I stop the sand bedded pavers being a different height to the mortar bedded?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects