Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount a Matrix screen over a bathroom window?

Su193
Getting Established

How to mount a Matrix screen over a bathroom window?

Hi, I have a screen which is 900 x 1800 mm and would like to use it horizontally to cover the outside of the bathroom windows to disguise the windows when seated in the adjacent patio area. (common house design problem, I know). I hope to install two heavy duty brackets into the noggins at top of the window frames and their L shape with a lug,  means that they come out far enought to hang the panel on, and will enable the panel to skim, over the brick veneer below. My question is, if the panel is hanging from the top, and not fastened to the wall as such, will the weight of it compromise the strength?  I am not confident to drill into the brick at the base of the panel to attach another bracket or a wood strip in that location. However, I would appreciate your opinion as I cannot determine the strength of the plastic panels.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to mount a Matrix screen over a bathroom window?

Hello @Su193, 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about Matrix screen mounting options.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your window? Can you also please include its measurements?

It might be possible to mount the panel on your window frame but there has to be enough support so that it does not bend or sag. Once we see a picture of the window our members will be able to assess the area. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Su193
Getting Established

I am going to get a reliable Handyman over I think becauseits awkward. Before I even get to the installation, there seems to be an issue with back of screws protruding and not sitting firmly when following directions of making the hole on the plastic layer bigger. Surely given the sandwich style of assembly of framing with the panel,

20231126_184314.jpg

nuts and bolts should have been supplied for an exact fit to avoid nasty screws sticking out?

Su193
Getting Established

20231126_184330.jpg

Su193
Getting Established

Had the Handyman over and he held the screen up there so I could check. After discussing fixing options I decided it won't look as good as hoped so will use the screen elsewhere.  There are great ideas on this site that are inspiring me so the panel won't be wasted. Thanks 😊 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects