Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a crumbling concrete base?

KarenJ
Finding My Feet

How to paint a crumbling concrete base?

I am seeking advice on how to repair a crumbling concrete base in order for us to then paint it please. Internet searches indicate a primer adhesive is advised, followed by a rapid dry concrete, bearing in mind the upright angle.  Can you offer advice and products to suit at all please? Thank you

20231011_142959.jpg20231011_143004.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint a crumbling concrete base?

Hello @KarenJ 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your concrete base.

It looks as if something has been scraping the surface of the concrete face. I only mention it because part of the render is still attached to the bottom of the concrete. If you are looking to get a nice flat surface again, I suggest rendering the surface before you put on a new coat of paint.

The general steps to render the surface are to brush the surface free of dirt and debris. I propose using a multipurpose primer such as Dunlop 1L Multipurpose Water Based Primer to enhance the bond between the substrate and the rendering cement. Once the primer has cured you just need to mix the render and trowel it onto the surface and level it as best you can. I recommend Rockcote 20kg Render Patch And Prep or similar.

Once the render has fully cured you can then paint the surface with an exterior paint of your choice. For example, there is the Dulux Weathersheild or the Taubmans Sunproof exterior paint that self-primes and goes onto almost any surface. Please note that painting too early will result in the paint bubbling up and peeling off. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your advice. The area is subject to weathering.  I will follow your advice to the letter. Thanks again. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated on your project @KarenJ, and reach out again if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects