Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent pavers from shifting?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to prevent pavers from shifting?

We have pavers on one side of our home and the pavers slightly shift over time.   Yesterday I started putting cement at the loose end, but I'm now wondering if I should do more.   The pavers end about 30cm from the fence line.   Will the cement hold the pavers in place, or should I add in extra support by embedding a post in the cement spanning from the paver to the fence, perhaps every 1.5 metres along the pathway?    sidepassage 1.jpgsidepassage 2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stabilising pavers

Hi @ennoh,

At the edge of paving, you need something to retain them, or as you've seen, they'll just migrate over time. Typically this would be a concrete edging, or you could install a timber edging. 

There is a significant amount of debris in the gaps that have opened up, so I'd advise you to remove the edge pavers, clean out the debris, and re-position them. You can then dig a 100mm deep trench along the outer edge and install sleepers on their edge. 100mm of the sleeper will be in the ground, and the additional 50mm will bring it flush with your pavers. The trench depth can be adjusted to change the finished height of the sleepers. The sleepers can be fixed in position with hardwood pegs.

Alternatively, your cement idea would likely work, but I'd suggest you build up some formwork, use concrete and create a bit of a curb along the whole length.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects