Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent these metal buckles from rusting?

PatDIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

How to prevent these metal buckles from rusting?

Hi

Simple question. I got these gym rings for home workouts, I have a pergola beam ill hang them off. For convience, I would prefer to leave them outside ( at least the strap and buckle anyway ) so I dont always have to get the ladder and hang them over and feed the strap through the buckle each time I use it

To prevent rust. Can I just spray paint them? I would first use primer and then a pain but wanted to check if it would ruin the way the buckle tab/spring works if I do that?

it looks goldy colour. Is this zinc plated? If so it would rust outside without anything protecting it

ThanksPXL_20230703_001008341.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prevent these metal buckles from rusting?

Hello @PatDIY_Dad 

You could technically paint the buckles to give them an extra layer of protection, but the main weak point of the unit is the spring. Since you won't be able to spray the entire spring mechanism the rust could possibly start there. There is also the issue of the grip tread, adding paint onto the surface of the grip tread of the clip could possibly make it slippery.

I also propose having a look at the Arlec IP44 Outdoor Safety Box as a way to protect the buckle from the weather. A bit of modification might be necessary, but the buckle should fit inside staps coming out either side.

If you decide to paint the buckle, I recommend having a look at the White Knight Rust Guard 400g Grey SLS Etch Primer Spray Paint and White Knight 300g Basalt Touch Up Spray Paint.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using spray paint.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects