Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to raise floor level of a pergola?

Kurian
Finding My Feet

How to raise floor level of a pergola?

Request the best suggestion to raise the floor level of an existing brick-paved pergola by a total of about 90 mm (final level after securing the floor board and tile). This is to bring the levels of both inside room and pergola on the same level and to provide a sliding door with a low threshold sill, making the door ‘wheel chair friendly’.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Raising floor level of a Pergola

Good afternoon @Kurian 

Any chance you could show us a photo of the area you want to raise?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kurian 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about raising the floor level of your pergola.

Several possibilities come to mind such as adding more soil or filler to your current flooring or perhaps removing the bricks and using Besser Blocks as a foundation. You might also consider building a low-level deck to get an accurate match to your flooring.

I'm in agreement with @Dave-1, would it be possible for you to post a few photos of the area? This will give our members a chance to assess the condition of your brick patio. We can then make recommendations on possible ways to raise its level.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

Thank you for getting back. Attached is a photo which explains the situation. The brick paved pergola is about 8 x 4 m and looks reasonably flat, though not sure how true the flatness. I have noticed a photo in your collection on the subject, showing an assembled wooden frame. Even a slight floor level variation can be tricky for such an area. I am not sure how practical it is to shave off the battens to suit the inevitable irregularities.

While casting a slab is an easier solution, I am looking at a cost effective option, avoiding excessive additional weight in the area. I am unsure of the nature and depth of the footing. The land is sloppy and the ground levels at the two corners vary from 60 to 100 cm at the outer edge of the pergola at 8 meters.  The pavers are now sitting only on compacted sand. Besser Blocks would reduce the weight but achieving a desirable level by placing them on sand is again an issue.

I am seeking advice on the use of a practical alternate lightweight floor, which will be acceptable to Sydney Councils. I am planning to use tongue and grove boards below the tiles. I have also heard about CEMLITE HE. Any advice on this material and process, including cost and availability in Sydney.

Thanks.

Kurian

Untitled.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Kurian 

I would be pulling up the pavers to start with, Doing that would give you a little more space to play with putting a deck down and also allow it to be levelled and stay level a lot easier (compared . Its much easier starting with something that is level and or square to start with. The picture is only tiny to view (not sure why) but one thing to remember if you remove the pavers is where the water will run off to. Not sure where it goes to now but its something to keep in mind.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kurian 

Thanks for posting that photo of your brick flooring. It's great that you've received excellent suggestions from @Dave-1. I was about to suggest the same thing, a cost-effective solution would be to dis-assemble the brick flooring and add more soil or filling to the area. This gives you complete control on high your flooring will be, and it doesn't require you to mix or add concrete.

This also gives you the opportunity to re-level the floor so that you get a proper fall for drainage. It's also the least complex way to increase the level of your floor. When you compare it to the other methods such as a low-level deck, where it will be necessary to adjust its footing to the level of the brick base. The same thing will be needed if you were to use the Cemlite product you were mentioning. Its height will need to be adjusted or compensated for so that it levels out properly.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W, @homeinmelbourne @Yorky88 and @Nham for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric    

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Thanks for the tag @EricL 

Hi @Kurian , I noted that you wanted a cost effective solution for wheelchair access to the pergola, why not try a simple entrance door ramp. Good luck.

Door_Entrance_Ramp_102MM_wc__84443.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kurian 

If you are curious about what the steps are in making a low-level deck, I suggest having a look a these guides - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and How to build a deck by @MitchellMc. These guides will give you ideas on what to take into consideration when you are planning your low level deck.

One of the most important factors when building a low-level deck is the allowable space between the brick floor and the door sill. It's even possible to build the deck very close to the door frame as seen in this discussion - Low-level deck over concrete by @Backyardtradie. With a few more additions you can create a shallow ramp that will allow you to go past the threshold of the door frame.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects