Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove grout from slate crazy paving?

DIYJT11
Finding My Feet

How to remove grout from slate crazy paving?

Hi all,

I am in the process of renovating my pool area. I recently removed an old deck which was covering an even older castlemaine slate path. I have removed all the old grout and glued down all the slate that had lifted up. I am now in the process of regrouting. 

Unfortunately I rushed on the weekend and didn't clean as I went which has resulted in a big mess. The slate has a lot of grout haze and bits of grout all over them. 

Is there a product and method I can use to remove all the haze and grout on top of my slate without damaging the slate and the grout in the joints? 

I was thinking about using a grout haze acid type product and a petrol powered high pressure cleaner. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Photos below. 

Screenshot_20231127_104426_Gallery.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove grout from slate crazy paving?

Hi @DIYJT11 

I just finished   cleaning  a expensive stone wall i got cement splashed on even though it was  covered for the most part.

Simple  solution  a round drill wire bush  (not the cup shaped ones the flat ones with the steel bristles sticking outwards like spokes on a wheel)

Do not use gold colored wheels  unless you have  no choice as  they can color the stone black use one  with steel bristles they work a treat.

Wear googles  wires will  fly out.

You can even  use a sander with 150Gt paper it will quickly remove grout,

Both methods will abraid stone a little but you  have control over that by  how much pressure you use.

No  acid  required and it may damage good  grout as it is a  floor and soak in.

Hope this helps.

Thank you @Jewelleryrescue, I will give the a shot!

Hi @DIYJT11 

Even the gold  colored   wire brushes will remove   cement and grout just be mindfull if it leaves colored marks on slate  and skim tiles more lightly the closer the state comes to the wheel.

This process will create dust consider having  some one with spare goggles  hold a workshop /old vacuum to collect wheels dust close to the grind.

Hello @DIYJT11 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing grout.

That's a great suggestion from @Jewelleryrescue. I recommend having a look at the Ryobi 6-Piece Wire Wheel Brush Set to grind the grout off. Using a mechanical stripper is much better than a chemical one as it might stain the slate. This also gives you complete control on how far the wire wheel goes. I suggest testing a small corner first to get the hang of it.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing, gloves goggles and a mask when working on your project. 

I also suggest having a second person holding on to the shop vac hose while you are grinding the grout. This should help reduce the amount of dust that will be generated. I also propose covering the pool to prevent the dust from landing in the water.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects