Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove mould from painted metal ceiling?

tisme
Growing in Experience

How to remove mould from painted metal ceiling?

How do I get the Mould off my patio ceiling ( painted metal ) 

IMG_2874.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove mould from painted metal ceiling?

Have you tried anything to remove the mould as yet @tisme?

We have a step-by-step guide that you might like to follow - How to remove mould stains from walls. In the guide, Eric suggests trying a vinegar solution, which is a fairly gentle approach. Many people typically go to bleach-based products. However, our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert Mitch often says that he has found that a quarter teaspoon of oil of cloves in a litre of water is a great way to kill and prevent mould on most surfaces. He has found that more effective than bleach-based products and is kinder on the lungs.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tisme
Growing in Experience

no I havent tried anything yet. I hesitate in case it damages the paint /metal , as I am in a rental. I got some glitz outdoor cleaner to try , and some clove oil

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tisme 

Because you are in a rental property, I suggest trying gentle methods first so that you will not accidentally damage the metal ceiling. I suggest using a bucket with very hot water and dishwashing liquid. I propose using Oates Massive Four Post Squeeze Mop. First wash with hot soapy water, then rinse with hot plain water. Then do one pass with the mop with no water to remove excess moisture on the ceiling.

Mould on steel acts differently unlike mould on plastic surfaces. It sometimes stains the surface and can't be removed with a chemical wash. I suggest taking photos of the mouldy ceiling and reporting it to your property manager so that they are aware of what is happening. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects