Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove rail of glass balustrade pool fence?

EricHoy
Just Starting Out

How to remove rail of glass balustrade pool fence?

Hi All, 

I'm hoping to save so cash and landfill. I'm hoping to reuse some Glass Balustrade Pool Fencing for a project that I'm working on.
the panel sizes work, but they have that top metal rail. Does anyone know how to remove this rail, is there a glue solvent or trick anyone know of please. Thank you in advance. Regards Eric

368637545_6584082938314183_3136833447365968044_n.jpg367982184_6514784605313856_3243809922771783604_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove rail of glass balustrade pool fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @EricHoy. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing pool fence trim.

I'd imagine that any adhesive used on the trim would be relatively easy to remove as if a glass panel needs to be replaced, the trim would need to come off. Are there signs that it was glued in place and not just a pressure fit? If the trim is one long continuous piece, then I'd suggest you'll need to start at the walls when removing it. Perhaps wait until midday and try a section with sun on it. The warmth might have softened the adhesive.

Pool glass panels can shatter easily if knocked or force is applied to them. Given this, I'd recommend that if the trim doesn't simply pull off, it would be a wise choice to employ the services of a professional pool fence installer to remove it for you. When working with glass panels, it's important to wear appropriate PPE gear, including safety glasses, gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and pants and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
blueyryan
Getting Established

Re: How to remove rail of glass balustrade pool fence?

Hello

It is actually quite difficult to get this off if it has been siliconed on.

Basically, you need to probably angle grind the 90 degree section to cut it (be sure to cover the glass from sparks), as it looks like it has been welded without joiner brackets.

Once you've cut it, you will need to pry it up to create a gap between the rail and the glass. In order to do this, you will need to run a blade on either side of the glass to cut the silicone on the sides which has been used to affix the metal to the glass. Once you've gone over each side, you can begin to pry it up. You will need to create a small gap at the end of the rail, big enough to slide a thin piece of timber between the rail, and the top of the glass. Once you've worked it enough to get the timber under, have someone stand on each side, and pull the timber back along the rail, slowly prying it up as you work it back under the metal.

You may firstly need to hold a piece of timber on the end of the rail, using a rubber mallet to hammer the timber (and  thus rail upwards), to create a small gap to get the piece of timber underneath, so you can begin the separation of rail from glass.

You should wear gloves and eye protection while doing this as sometimes the panels can break given the amount of force needed to get the rail off.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects