Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint steel posts?

NannaDebz
Just Starting Out

How to repaint steel posts?

Sometimes I feel energised, LOL.

So our steel carport posts need some work.

The existing paint is chalky & faded & missing in places on this post, the other 5 posts mostly just faded & chalky.

One post has something sticky in places, no idea what but washed with sugar soap & still a little sticky.

So what is the best way to go.

No idea what sort of paint was used, guessing it's as old as the house, 22 yo.

Was in the big green shed yesterday looking at colours & paint type then when I got home I figured I need to sort the prep out first 😅 

Please fire away with suggestions so my next visit to the big shed is not wasted.

Ps I know you should that at the top but ignore the gutters they are above my comfortable working level, waiting on hubby for that project 😏

Thanks

20231118_114707.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: repainting steel posts

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @NannaDebz. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting steel posts.

I'm not seeing any surface rust there, so is it just the topcoat that is peeling, and the undercoat is still in place? If the undercoat is sound, you can sand back the top coat to remove any loose, deteriorated and chalky paint and remove any sheen from it with 180-grit sandpaper. You should then thoroughly wipe down the dusty surfaces. Once clean, apply Dulux Metalshield Epoxy Enamel. This product doesn't require an undercoat over the existing undercoat or pre-painted surface. If that is bare steel, you'll need to apply the Metalshield All Purpose Primer.

Here's the colour chart for the Metalshield range.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects