Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair concrete walls and ceilings with concrete cancer?

RayR
Just Starting Out

How to repair concrete walls and ceilings with concrete cancer?

Have to repair spalling to concrete walls ,columns and ceilings due to concrete cancer steel has been cleaned and coated need to fill 50 mm aprox. depth would like a trowel in mortar that can be applied to repair same

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: repairs to concrete walls and ceilings

Hello @RayR 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about repairing your concrete wall and ceiling.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the damaged areas of your wall and ceiling. Generally, I would suggest using Mortar to fill the damage. But since the depth of the damage is around 50mm, it might be necessary to use something else.

In regards to the ceiling damage, it might be necessary to build formwork to keep the patch supported until it cures. I'll give our suppliers a call tomorrow regarding the repairs. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: repairs to concrete walls and ceilings

Hi @RayR,

You should have a look at Sika 20kg Sika MonoTop-352NFG Structural Repair Mortar as it has been specifically designed for repairs to spalling due to concrete cancer. Sika advises that it can be used in layers up to 75mm thick as it is fibre reinforced.  

Sika advises Monotop-352NFG is used with a product of theirs called Sika MonoTop®-910 N to coat the steel for both bonding and corrosion prevention purposes. This can be ordered through your local Bunnings Special Orders desk as an off-range item. As you've stated you've already coated the steel, this may not be necessary, but it's information worth passing on.

Depending on the circumstances, either Craftright 280mm Plasterers Trowel or Craftright 250mm Brick Trowel can be used for this application. The plasterer's trowel is good for applying mortar to wider areas, whereas the pointed brick trowel is good for tighter spaces. A combination of the two will give you the best results.

Please ensure that you wear all necessary personal protective equipment when carrying out this work including gloves, eye protection, a mask, long sleeved shirt, long pants and enclosed footwear.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Jacob

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair concrete walls and ceilings with concrete cancer?

Hello @RayR 

I just wanted to make sure that you have everything you need regarding your concrete repair project. Please don't forget to post a photo update once you've completed your repairs, I'm sure our members will be keen to see what it looks like. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects