Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair potholes in driveway?

yng7
Cultivating a Following

How to repair potholes in driveway?

How easy is it to do your own repairs of driveway potholes?

I found a product in Bunnings by searching on the website but wonder if anyone has had the experience of using the product. Was it successful, ie. ease of application, how long did the repair work last, what tools do I need?

1371EC21-75F5-40E4-97C7-EFF1EE5618FD.jpeg D3AE0B92-AC21-465E-B7B0-0725478BEA7E.jpeg 70D32444-6306-4131-9331-27AF502E0226.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Driveway Pothole Repair

Hi @yng7,

Repairing driveway potholes with bagged asphalt can be a cost-effective and relatively simple DIY project if you have the right tools and follow the instructions carefully. I'd recommend Dingo 20kg Bitumen Repair to patch the area.

Before applying the asphalt, it's important to clean the pothole of any loose asphalt or debris. You can use a wire brush or a high-pressure washer to clean the area thoroughly.

The bag of asphalt you purchased will have instructions on how to use it. Typically, you'll need to allow the mix to warm up in the sun before pouring it into the potholes. Spread the mix evenly using a shovel or a trowel, making sure to overfill the pothole slightly. This is because the asphalt will settle over time.

Use a tamper to compact the asphalt and ensure that it's level with the surrounding driveway. Alternatively, you can drive a car or a truck over the area to compress the asphalt. But remember to wait at least 24 hours before doing so to allow the asphalt to cure.

When working with asphalt, it's important to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including protective gloves, clothing, and eyewear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
yng7
Cultivating a Following

Thanks, Mitchell.

With a 20kg tin, how big a pothole area does this cover?
I need to know how many tins will be sufficient to cover all the potholes?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @yng7,

The Dingo 20kg Bitumen Repair has a coverage of  3 x 20kg bags (60kg) = 1m2 with a depth of 23mm. I'd recommend grabbing six bags which should be sufficient. You can return any that are unneeded.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects