Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair this side gate?

rohitbudhiraja
Finding My Feet

How to repair this side gate?

Hi Community Members,

I'm reaching out to seek your valuable suggestions regarding the repair of my side gate. The top hinge is loose, and I've been unable to find the right screw and nut to fix it. I attempted using a bolt, but it went all the way down in the gate and seems irrecoverable.

As a temporary solution, I've placed a long screw to function as a hinge, allowing the gate to swing, but it's loose and causes trouble when closing the door. I have to manually lift it to ensure proper closure.

Your insights and experiences would be immensely helpful in guiding me on how to address this issue effectively. If you have any recommendations or if you've encountered a similar situation, I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you,

Rohit

Side Gate.jpeg

Side Gate_Close-up.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Side Gate Repair

Hi @rohitbudhiraja,

I believe a standard bolt will do the job for you, but the issue is that the hole in the bracket is smaller than the hole in the gate. I'd measure the hole in the gate, let's presume it's 10mm, and then pick up a drillbit and bolt to suit. Drill out the bracket so it's the same size as the bolt and insert. That way since the bolt is the same size as the hole in the bracket and gate there shouldn't be any play, and it would hopefully resolve having to lift the gate to lock.

Let me know if you think that would work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects