Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace caulking on balcony floor tiles?

Zowie
Just Starting Out

How to replace caulking on balcony floor tiles?

Hi 👋 

Can I replace a section of caulking on my outside balcony floor tiles without compromising the caulking around the rest of the tiles?

I've noticed some water bubbling up from 2 tiles and the caulking has come away from 1 side.

Do I cut this out, let it dry out etc then replace with new caulking? 

Are there specific products to speed up the drying time (it's an exposed area and there is lots of rain forecast so time is of the essence?)

Thanks in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: replacing a section of outdoor caulking

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Zowie. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing caulking.

It's best that caulking is done in one continuous bead and replacing sections is not the best option. 

If you have water bubbling up from under your tiles, this sounds like a situation that needs to be fully explored. If the water is bubbling up, then it is under pressure. There should never be pressurised water under balcony tiles. Hopefully, it's just water seeping through the compromised caulk and then coming back out again. My concern is if this water is getting under the tiles elsewhere, then you'll be sealing up an issue that should be addressed by a professional. If you seal the water escape route, it will look for another avenue, which might be through your house. A waterproof membrane should be under the tiles that directs any water seeping through your tiles to your balcony drain. Is there a balcony drain, and is it draining freely?

To answer your question, you need to cut out as much degraded caulk as possible and replace it with fresh caulk. Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant forms an instant seal even when applied in the rain. I think this might be your best bet.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects