Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace deck balustrade?

Bomber25
Cultivating a Following

How to replace deck balustrade?

IMG_6818.jpeg

IMG_6819.jpeg

IMG_6820.jpeg

Does anybody have any ideas on what I could do here to remove the balustrade and open my house deck up to my backyard? I dislike the closed off feeling but put the balustrade in to stop the kids falling off the deck when I moved in. Was already thinking 2 tapered stairs all the way across or a ramp? One end of the deck is 530mm from the top the other is about 190mm.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace deck balustrade?

Hello @Bomber25 

Thanks for sharing your question about your balustrade. Visibility I think is one of the reasons your balustrade stands out and makes it look closed off. The timbers natural bright finish clearly defines where the balustrade is. A quick and affordable way to lessen its visibility is to paint it black. This will lessen its visual impact and make it blend in with your deck.   

Another method you can try is to change the balustrade and use ProtectorAl 1800 x 950mm Black Aluminium Flat Top Square Picket Balustrade Panel. It's narrow construction and low profile will provide protection and at the same time not standout.

My only other suggestion is to use Glass Fencing, this will give the illusion of openness and still provide a measure of safety. Before embarking on any changes, I suggest checking your local council's rules and regulations regarding balustrade installation for large decks.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @homeinmelbourne and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to replace deck balustrade?

Good Morning @Bomber25 

Looking at the photos I was thinking maybe one or two wide sets of stairs, tappered like you suggest. There was a project I saw in here (Cant find it of course lol) that had a deck out theback and it wasnt being used as much as they wanted, they had a similar question about putting in some steps and then they opened it up by keeping some handrail but a 2m wide ish set of stairs to the side that was tapered. 

Do you mind if the steps go over your concrete path? and what else is in the yard?

You could build the deck out from under the house, that way giving space to the area and getting teh handrails out from underneath the roofline. It would give an opened up feeling plus a decent sized enntertaining area.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects