Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace part of an old fence?

totocol
Building a Reputation

How to replace part of an old fence?

Hi community,

I’m planning to replace a section of an old fence where the wood is rotten and slowly get the full fence replaced. I’m planning to start with about 7metres and these are the materials I thought I’d use. Just wondering if I might be missing anything. I’m also getting someone to let me use their nail gun and circular saw. 

Rails x 3

https://www.bunnings.com.au/100-x-15mm-1-5m-fence-paling-h3-treated-pine-wet_p0051200?referrer=Retai...

Palings X 75

https://www.bunnings.com.au/100-x-15mm-1-5m-fence-paling-h3-treated-pine-wet_p0051200?referrer=Retai...

Galvanised bolts x 5

https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-m12-x-220mm-hot-dipped-galvanised-hex-head-bolt-and-nut_p2449137

Nails X 300 

thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace part of an old fence?

Hi @totocol,

The pailings and bolts are fine to use, but I'd be keen to see what you're using the bolt for. Typically there are no bolts in a timber fence construction.  

You've double-linked the pailing there; could you give the rails link another go? Also, what are you using for the posts?

In case you haven't seen it, here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to build a pailing fence.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
totocol
Building a Reputation

I’m adding photos of the fence. The idea is to replace the palings and railing and the wood in planning to use for the railing. The bolts are to at each the railing to the concrete posts 

B4696359-E769-4E56-BC07-065F8B1805D3.png

CD17E2D9-104C-43DD-B2E2-A97C2BFA4876.jpeg

79A94A1B-0122-49EE-961F-7111F5AB33BC.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @totocol 

Thanks for that extra information about the concrete posts. I was also wondering what the nut and bolt were for. My only suggestion to your new fence upgrade is to add a timber capping over your fence. The capping will serve as a defence for the top of the paling and prevent water from sitting on its cut end. 

It looks like you've got all the parts you need. I only suggest double checking the size of the current raling. It's best to use the same size so that you won't get any bowing in the fence. Please don't forget to post photos while you are dis-assembling and re-assembling the fence. I'm sure our members would be keen to see the process.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, and goggles while working on your fence.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL 

I couldn’t find an exact match for the railing size but the one I posted is pretty close so hoping it’s close enough. Just a couple of final questions 

Is there a particular wood I should use for the capping? 
should I add any additional treatment to the palings and rails after installing them? 

thanks again! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @totocol 

The caping is actually paling cut in half right down the middle. To protect any cut portion, I suggest using TWA Woodcare 300g Ecoseal Tanalised Timber Treatment

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves goggles and an appropriate mask or face shield. Please make sure to follow the safety recommendations at the back of the can before using the product.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks a lot.

one final question. I don’t have a nail gun but I do have an impact driver. What screws would you recommend for this job? 
thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @totocol,

Climacoat 45mm Treated Pine screws would be about right.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects