Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore painted verandah?

tom138
Having an Impact

How to restore painted verandah?

Hi there, 

So I found another project to tackle for the long weekend. I would like to restore and paint this verandah:

8D98E7AE-7227-4475-AED6-5E50DEF22476.jpeg

  

E82E84A2-025C-47C1-8A43-3615BBB1B305.jpeg

2C0734E7-A795-4858-B0FB-7D7E7F259B99.jpeg

90DCCCE0-1E3F-48D3-8831-46B0A626A77F.jpeg

For paint I am thinking the Cabot’s Timbercolour Exterior and Deck paint (self-priming).

I am unsure what’s the best way to prep. There seem to be conflicting advise re power washing but I am leaning towards not doing it as I don’t want to further damage the timber. I want to just use a belt sander. 

Few boards will need to be replaced, obviously, but I’d like to try to see if I can fix few of the less rotten pieces (esp. the rail in the last picture) using the Earl’s Wood Hardener.

What’s the best way to fill the holes and cracks? Will builders turbo bog work or should I get wood filler? Is it better to caulk cracks rather than use filler?

In terms of steps I am thinking:

1) Clean with some sort of detergent

2) Hammer down protruding nails

3) Replace boards that are too deteriorated

4) Spray hardener to the ones not so badly damanged

5) Fill gaps

6) Sand

7) Paint

😎Have a well deserved cold beverage?

Am I missing anything?

Many thanks in advance! 

Tom

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Restoring painted verandah

Afternoon @tom138 

Fun project for sure especially if you like working with timber :smile:

Have you tried pushing a flat bladed screwdriver into the rotten parts of the timber, just to determine how far along the rot goes? I have used timber bog for repairs to pieces of timber for seating before but not for handrails or floorboards. It does harden to a solid piece so you can drill it ect.

I have not heard of a "spray on hardener" for timber before, do you have a product in mind?

I have reused hardwood timber that has rotted in small areas but have scraped out the rotted part and determined if its structurally useful still.

Is your handrail pine?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tom138 

Thanks for sharing your question about restoring your painted veranda. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I totally agree with doing a thorough test of all the panels and see which ones need replacing. Timber hardener is an excellent product, but if the structural integrity of the timber is questionable, I suggest replacing it rather than patching it. If the damage is small, then it would be worth repairing it.

I recommend using Turbo 500ml Builders Bog to fill in the holes and cracks. If you are using Cabot's 4L Deep Base Timbercolour Deck And Exterior Paint, I recommend sanding the surface back to timber just to make sure you have a fresh timber surface to paint on.   

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Here are some discussions our Workshop members have shared.:

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom138
Having an Impact

Hey @EricL and @Dave-1 ,

Your advise is much appreciated, as always!

@Dave-1 yes it looks like (treated?) pine. It looks like rails have only surface damage and it’s only few boards on the lower platform, that does not have roof over it, that will need replacing. 

I was referring to this product here: https://www.bunnings.com.au/earl-s-250ml-wood-hardener_p1585306?store=7174&gbraid=0AAAAADtbEB8vhI-ZJ... I will let you know whether it works.

@EricL - thanks for the useful links and info. Just wondering if it is necessary to sand to bare timber? Please note that I’m painting it woodland grey so quite dark. I had a go sanding the front porch first and this is what I ended up after almost three hours of sanding:

F04742AF-0962-4E28-8591-2675323C5232.jpeg

The challenge is that the timber is not straight and warped in places so it’s difficult to sand with belt sander. I will try multi tool to see if I can finish this one. But if I was to sand the whole verandah incl stairs and rails and pickets I’d need more than one more long weekend.  The current paint job is not pealing or anything - is it a bad idea to paint over it?

Thanks for your support!

Tom

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @tom138 

:surprised:Far out! I want to go out and buy some of that wood repairer! lol That looks trully impressive!

I have never heard of it but have used timbermates products before and trust them sooooo Looks like I will find something to repair :smile:

For your timber repainting/sanding I prefer bare timber but if the the paint is still fixed then maybe a light sand to give something for your new paint to bind to easier.

I am building and outside table for my front yard atm and have the same question, should I sand it or leave it that weatherd look. The timber is hardwood and I know there is a fair chance of grit embedded into the timber. I will prob end up wire brushing it and then oiling it to protect it.

Looks like you are doing some good work on your deck :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tom138,

It would be best to remove the existing paint, especially if it is degraded at all. However, as @Dave-1 mentioned, a light sanding and cleaning should suffice if the paint is in good condition and if you can't sand it back entirely.

Mitchell

Hi there,

So… due to weather and other commitments this project is going slowly but making progress:

D1509760-41E6-4DEC-9691-C365C9DF8BAD.jpeg

Going to paint this weekend, hopefully the weather will cooperate  :wink:

I also noticed what seems like a post sitting on top of another post:

10569906-9726-4F33-A278-6CB6F5B59B2C.jpeg

F23961CF-CEC5-4A3A-868B-CD14CCDADDF8.jpeg

D7C9F8A3-90B2-4C4C-8157-07A36F51929C.jpeg

Any advise how to rectify this? I was thinking a galvanised metal plate from both sides? What screws should I use?

Thanks,

Tom

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @tom138 

Crossing my fingers for you on the weather this weekend :smile: If you live Sydney to down the Gong then you should be in luck!

Mmmmm to that post on a post. Any chance a further out shot to show the whole lot? The bottom part of the post seems to be supporting a floor above so all I can think of is the added post supports a handrail or ?? Really need to know what it supports before I chance an answer :smile: It looks like its been there for years tho so thats good news.

Just went back up and had a look at your original photo of the deck :surprised: Now that is some effort you have put into removing the pain. Looks good.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tom138 

Your making excellent progress with taking that old paint off the veranda. I'm with @Dave-1 on this one and hope that the weather stays sunny this coming weekend. In regards to the post, can you please post a few more photos of the post structure that includes the veranda? I'm curious to see if anything else is supporting it or if it is linked to something else.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

tom138
Having an Impact

Hi @Dave-1 and @EricL,

I have attached few more pictures of the post:

D1C0851E-DC18-4A4C-B5FC-73FA5AEBEBD8.jpeg

49E77680-5BB7-4714-902E-1B08E5CF6234.jpeg

AE0A1DA7-24CB-4FF0-8C2A-66CBBF60A0A8.jpeg

This is a nearly 50 years old house and it seems like there has been several iterations of this verandah over the years and every time they used what they could. I do like the idea of reuse but I would like to make sure it’s structurally sound :laugh:

Tom 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects