Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revamp my garden?

qian
Finding My Feet

How to revamp my garden?

Dear my friends,, i m new here, i just joint, i m so so happy to find out this wonderful, helpful people. i really need help please. my backyard is about 200 square meter, i m thinking taking 200 square meter old lawn off and put 100 square meter new turf for the first part of backyard ( i m over 60 years old single lady , i cannot do a lot mowing )and leave other 100 square meter which are in the last part of backyard, in order to saving money, can i put about 100 pallets as base and put a  lot flowers pot on top of this base???

and how much to pay for if i do for paver for these 100 square ????  thank you so much

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how I revamp my garden

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @qian. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to revamp your garden.

That's a very interesting proposal. Can you describe the garden's shape for us? Is it rectangular, square, or oddly shaped? As much as I would like to say yes to the pallet proposal. The grass and weeds would grow right around all the open spaces between the pallets. You would have more trouble clearing it out when the pallets start to rot. 

If you want a smaller area to mow and an easy area to maintain, I suggest creating a border around your garden with weed mat, pavers, and pebbles. This will give it a very nice look, and you'll still have some turf to walk on. I suggest engaging the services of a handyman to set it up for you. I recommend getting a Ryobi 18V ONE+ 4.0Ah 33cm Lawn Mower Kit. A cordless electric lawnmower will be easy to handle and maintain. 

While we're waiting for your description of the area, I've placed a drawing below of how you can cover the garden, so that you'll have a smaller area to mow. Please have a look and tell us what you think. 

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular garden makeovers

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle, @prettyliving, and @suequarford for their recommendations.

If you need further advice and information, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
qian
Finding My Feet

hi Eric, Thank you so much your reply so quick.... and i totally accept your idea, it is so helpful, i will try to learn how to uploading my garden images by asking my son soon.  my garden is rectangular similar like your picture,  I will hire a handyman to do it for me. it took me one month to think about how to do, now it is solved by you in a minute, thank you so much, i will keep update my garden.

Hi @qian, I see Eric the wise has got you sorted. I have a similar layout with grass in the middle and weedmat and stones around the edges. The lawnmower Eric is talking about is a breeze to use no pulling  or petrol cans. I am not in the best of health but can easily use mine. I bought it from Bunnings ages ago and it has never let me down. I bought an industrial extension lead with mine too.However if you really don’t feel up to it try giving your local council a call as some councils have subsidised gardeners.20$ is the going rate for me. I have to say I can’t stress enough about finding an honest  handyman . I have been taken to the cleaners in the past. Always get at least three quotes and don’t tell either one what the other’s quoted.Try someone local, this dial a hubby is not for me anyway,don’t trust em.it brings a whole other meaning to single white female.$$$$$$I do hope I have not put you off I just wouldn’t want you to go through the same trouble I did. All the best brenda🌺

Good morning Brenda, thank you so much for your reply. i will take your advice,  All the best to you too.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects