Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive a Pine deck?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to revive a Pine deck?

Hi all

My deck requires some attention. I believe its a pine wood deck.

2 years ago I applied the intergrain merbau decking oil and prior to that it was cabot natural aqua deck.

I understand i need to clean the deck before applying any coat, can i use just soap - omo?

Any suggestions on a waterbased oil or other types, and what color does it really need to better uv protection? merbau?

Cheers

Thierry

Screenshot_2024-01-30-12-31-55-57_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-30-12-31-43-47_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revive a Pine deck?

Hello @Thierry 

Thanks for sharing your question about reviving your deck. In order to properly revive your deck, it will be necessary to sand the surface back to timber. The old paint or stain must be removed otherwise any new coating placed on top will not be effective. I'm sorry but standard washing detergent will only clean the surface, but it will not prepare it for repainting.   

In regards to the type of stain to use, I propose having a look at the Cabot's Aquadeck and Intergrain Ultradeck series. These oils and stains come in a variety of finishes and come in clear and dark colours. These products have excellent reviews from customers who have used them.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you revive a deck?

I also suggest having a look at these amazing deck revamps shared by our Workshop members:

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric

Thanks for the advice.

I found out my stubborn father, without my permission, has slightly sanded the deck and then applied the oil directly without cleaning it. It was for "testing" as per photo.

What should i do now? Cleaning the whole deck including the recent oil one? Or its ok not to clean?

Thanks

Thierry

Screenshot_2024-02-06-15-35-43-30_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Thierry 

That was very kind of your dad. I'm sure he only had the best intentions. This is a bit tricky now as we don't know how far your dad sanded back. Did he go all the way to timber or was it just a surface sand with imperfections. You'll be able to tell as the oil or stain will be patchy and uneven, which means that it was not sanded all the way back to timber.

In this particular instance, I suggest sanding everything back to timber to make sure you have a uniform finish. I propose looking carefully at the deck before you decide on a course of action.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL 

It was lightly sanded. Then only applied 1 coat using hand brush without applying the deck clean. See photos. Please let me know your thoughts on the result.

Also, is it vital to use the deck clean after sanding? 

Thanks

 Thierry

IMG20240207082112.jpg

IMG20240207082133.jpg

IMG20240207082138.jpg

IMG20240207082200.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Thierry 

As I suspected the timber deck has not been sanded deep enough. You can see where the oil failed to get absorbed as the timber splits standout. If they were sanded properly the entire surface would be uniform. 

You'll also notice that there are dark spots on the surface. This is where the oil settled on the surface of the old stain and did not get absorbed. I therefore suggest sanding the entire deck back to timber and using the deck clean to make sure that the timber surface is free of oil, grease and other contaminants that will interfere with the oil absorption.  

I suggest using the For Hire: Orbital Floor Sander to strip the surface of you deck in a short amount of time.

If you need further assistance, please Let us ride with you.

Eric

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric

Thanks for the advice.

The use of deck clean comes after sanding the deck?

What grit sanding paper to use? the smooth one?

With the cabot merbau deck oil, will it look good on pine wood? Im concerned the colour wont be as dark as the current deck.

Thanks
Thierry
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Thierry 

Yes, the deck must be washed after full sanding. This will wash off all the contaminants and revive the timber fibres. I suggest starting with 180grit or lower if you prefer and finish it off with 240grit to get a nice smooth finish.

I believe you'll get a a dark coat with the Cabots Merbau decking oil. Please have a look at the recoating instructions on the can if you decide to put another coat on.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects