Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal marine ply in campervan?

steve2000
Growing in Experience

How to seal marine ply in campervan?

Hi I'm a software engineer that sits in a chair all day, every day, for the last 20+ years, so no expert with tools or related stuff 

Anyhow, I decided to build my own camper van and will be living in this full time in a couple of months while travelling the big lap 

I think my build is ok, using 12mm marine ply and dress pine for the frame, and now need to seal it 

I want it to last for some time. If I can get 2 or 3 years out of it, that would be cool 

My partner is highly allergic to paint, generally wet paint and the odours that come from that,

although we found she can handle water-based paint   

seeking what product to use that needs to be water base or similar to seal up this timber build 

it is expected to get a little bit of rain on it sometimes if doors are opened in rainy weather, and its ability to handle the odd spilt drink/coffee  lol 

not intended as a full outdoor timber project 

seeking the best product to use and any resources on what tools are needed / how to apply - prefer a method that does not require a spray gun (don't have one and wouldn't know how to use it anyhow lol) 

also, the very back timber doors I want to stain a colour - again, I will need to find out the best stain stuff I need / how to apply (12mm marine ply) 

including resources regarding hot to final preparations of the timber before staining / sealing etc 

cheers :smile: Back doors I want to stain and seal (12mm marine ply)Back doors I want to stain and seal (12mm marine ply)camper van build projectcamper van build projectcamper van build projectcamper van build project

steve2000
Growing in Experience

Re: How to finish wood burning art project?

progress update lol 

slight change in the design - however all systems go - still a couple more sessions to complete the full wood burn project

have purchased stain and paint etc - and done a couple of test practice runs 

IMG20240513001614.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @steve2000 

Thanks for the update, that wood burning carving looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm sure it will stand out more once you apply a sealer on it.

Looking forward to the big reveal when everything is sealed and ready to go.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
steve2000
Growing in Experience

1 month to go.. countdown to the start of the big lap lol 

Van should be fully completed in the next week - only the lighting electrical to do now then pack up and go 

anyhow build out now in van with the wood burn rear doors        

IMG20240511214211.jpg

IMG20240513001614 (1).jpg

IMG20240518222713.jpg

IMG20240520002715_BURST015.jpg

IMG20240520130441.jpg

IMG20240525092926.jpg

IMG20240601213738.jpg

IMG20240601213852.jpg

IMG20240601213822.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @steve2000,

Congratulations to you and your partner on such an amazing project.

The finished art piece looks fantastic and gives your van that bit of personalisation to make it feel like home for the big lap.

I look forward to the final update with lights installed before you take off on your exciting adventure.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects