Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal outdoor pots?

DIYImpressions
Having an Impact

How to seal outdoor pots?

I have bought few fiber stone outdoor pots for which I need sealers to enhance their natural look. Can you please suggest a sealer good for water resistance, enhance the look and Matt finish. Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor Pots Sealer

Hi @DIYImpressions,

Typically the use of pot sealers like Bondall Pot And Ornament Sealer and Crommeling Ornament Sealer would be reserved for natural stone and masonry. As fibre stone isn't susceptible to moisture loss like natural stone, there aren't any products specifically designed for it. You could try either of the above, but I recommend doing a small discreet test section to verify whether they'll work for you.

What sort of water resistance were you looking for, and was it to prevent surface staining? Also, what type of enhancement of the look were you going for? Perhaps you might like to post a few images of the pots so our helpful members better understand what you'd like to achieve.

Ultimately, the manufacturer of the pots will be the best source of information on what sealers would be suitable. However, I suspect they'll struggle to come up with something compatible with fibre stone. If these were our pots, I'd be happy to contact the manufacturer after the weekend to see if we can find a solution.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to seal outdoor pots?

Hi @DIYImpressions . Did you want to seal the outside of the pots to keep them from getting dirty or covered in moss or algae?

I know that with some lighter-coloured fibrestone pots it can be worth sealing the inside so that tannins from the potting mix don't leach through and stain the exterior of the pots, but that's a different issue...

Brad

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYImpressions

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MitchellMc and @BradN. I totally agree with the recommendations made by my colleagues. But the most important one I believe is to seal the inside of the pot. Because fibre stone pots are a mixed medium of crushed rock, resin and fibreglass. It will be difficult to tell where the staining will occur should water enter its substrate. 

At the same time, if you wish to preserve the finish on the pot it's critical that the outside be sealed as well. Please just keep in mind that moss and mould grow on almost any surface. So aside from the sealing preparation, it's important to give the pots a good washdown every now and then to prevent moss and mould from getting a foothold.

I propose using Bondall 300g Aerosol Pot and Ornament Sealer. But as my colleague said it's important to test a small spot before you commit to the entire area. In this manner, you'll be able to see how the fibre pot will react to the seal.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your pots sealed and full of plants.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @EricL @BradN @MitchellMc for suggestions. I reached out to the reseller and he advised on using Crommelin Ornamental Sealer. This is what he is using. I am placing plastic pots inside the deocrative pots and want to seal them from outside for a wet look and Weather resistance . I will try a patch before applying a full coat. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects