Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal plain concrete undercover slab but allow for future tiling?

leejackson716
Finding My Feet

How to seal plain concrete undercover slab but allow for future tiling?

Hi all,

looking to seal a plain concrete outdoor undercover area “outdoor room” they call it these days. However want to tile the area in the future, it is only approx 10 square meters in size. Is there a seal I can use that is safe to tile over in the future without having to remove it. Main reason I want to seal it now is it is very dusty. Ideally not looking for a super shiny finish, more a Matt finish once sealed. Thanks in advance 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal plain concrete undercover slab but allow for future tiling?

Hello @leejackson716 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about sealing your outdoor slab.

I've just been in contact with the Crommelin technical department and they suggest using the Crommelin 6L Natural Finish Penetrating Sealer And Water Repellent. This is a natural sealer that allows the slab to breath and if after a while you decide to tile the surface, I recommend using an etcher such as Dulux 2L Concrete & Paving Bare Concrete Etch & Clean. This will prepare the surface for tiling and to add extra grip to the surface I also propose using Dunlop 4L Multipurpose Primer.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much for your help and advice Eric! 

Please keep us updated @leejackson716 and reach out again if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects