Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stick down limestone retaining wall top and fill water feature gaps?

bryy
Just Starting Out

How to stick down limestone retaining wall top and fill water feature gaps?

Hello, 

I have 2 questions which may have the same or different answers. 
Firstly I have a limestone block retaining wall where the mortar has cracked all the way through and the cap brick now sits loose. Can anyone recommend a product which can stick it back down or will I have to replace the mortar? 

Further along the retaining wall I have a water feature down some rocks where the mortar has cracked and now lets all the pool water out. Can anyone recommend a gap filler which would not deteriorate the look of the feature too much or would it be better to remove and add new mortar? 

IMG_7728.jpeg

JPEG image.jpeg

  

Thank you for your advice! 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to stick down limestone retaining wall top and fill water feature gaps

Hi  @bryy 

Some times cleaning off mortar and re cementing is time consuming process and messy at times.

Use this  product like a  glue  lift you paver and apply sealant/glue on all the high spots where you can see the original contact points  after brushing away any  loose sand or  dirt.  Then simply set it down again.  run a bead  down each side of  paver for good measure 100% area bonding not required for good fix.

Re your cracks in the spill way use your gloved finger  or caulking  gun and free nozzle and push  sealant into and along the cracks from top to bottom and this  should fix  your leaks if you see them all.  

The sealant is  grey in color to match  your original cement so as long as you  use sealer sparingly just enogh to  fill and cover crack you  wont ever notice repair.

Selleys 415g Brick And Concrete Sealant

I/N: 1230973

$16.50

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to stick down limestone retaining wall top and fill water feature gaps?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @bryy. It's a pleasure having you join us and we look forward to seeing and assisting you with your D.I.Y. projects.

Thanks for your question. Wonderful to see you've received some advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to assist as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions about navigating the site.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stick down limestone retaining wall top and fill water feature gaps?

Hi @bryy,

The capping can be re-adhered with Selleys 415g Liquid Nails Landscape Stone Concrete Adhesive. Mortar would then be used to re-grout the seams.

For the waterfall, I'd imagine repointing the gaps around the stones with mortar would do a reasonable job of preventing the water from creeping under them. You can mix in a range of oxides to try and mimic the rock colour.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects