Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop bitumen sticking to impactor?

ablackcockatoo
Finding My Feet

How to stop bitumen sticking to impactor?

I am doing some bitumen repairs to my driveway. After a while the bitumen starts sticking to the Trojan Impactor and lifts off previously impacted bitumen. Any ideas on how to avoid?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bitumen sticks to impactor

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ablackcockatoo. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tamping bitumen.

Was it this Trojan 205mm Tamper you were using? 

Ensure the plate is clean and free from debris before you start. You can lubricant the tamper plate with either cooking spray or water, which should be reapplied intermittently and as soon as the material starts to stick. Professionals would typically use diesel fuel instead, but that's likely harder to get your hands on. Periodically clean the plate during use with a scraper to remove any build-up. Also, try compacting in the morning and evening when the bitumen is not over-heated, as excessive temperature in the midday can cause the mix to become more adhesive.

You can add a bit of a twist to your tamping motion before you lift up. So, tamp down, twist slightly, and pick up for the next stroke. This twisting motion helps break the bond instead of pulling straight back up and pulling the material away from the ground.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Bitumen sticks to impactor

Yes it is the Trojan impacter. Your suggestions sound perfect (and simple!). Thanks!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects