Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop overflowing water from other properties?

Barbara35
Cultivating a Following

How to stop overflowing water from other properties?

I have an existing colourbond fence as a boundary fence between my property and the adjoining property.

I continually have flooding when heavy rain pouring through from their  place. It is like a dam has burst and we have renewed all of our storm water and drains  at a cost of $9000.

Our drainage accommodates water on our property but not the extra from behind. When this happens it floods the top level which becomes like a swimming pool and over the garden and is like a waterfall coming down over the steps  to the patio. When the water gets to the patio we have to broom it to the side so that it doesn't enter the house. We have had to have SES provide sand bags.

We have spoken to the neighbor who says his yard floods as well but says it is nature and is not prepared to do anything .

We have spoken to the Council on a number of occasions and one again they are looking into it.

We are having quotes to build a wall across the back but this is very expensive. We thought we would get cement sheeting and put that across the back to prevent this flooding. We were thinking  of making it approx 3ft high. and to go across approx 405ft 

Not sure what product to use and really need help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop overflowing water from other properties

Hello @Barbara35 

Let me tag @mort57 to make them aware of your offer. I'm sure that when they read your posts, they will find the information very handy and useful.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Barbara35
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

Is it possible to speak to you on the phone?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Barbara35 

You can send me a private message if you need assistance. I'll answer it from that end.

Eric

Barbara35
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to stop overflowing water from other properties?

Hi,

We did put a retaining wall across the bottom of our colour bond fence  with treated pine sleepers three high with the bottom one half into the ground.

We cemented across  the bottom of the sleepers and put silicone in the joins. Then packing the soil tightly against the sleepers.

The water then built up and then discharged  through the colour bond fence behind out brick shed. So I cemented all of the joints in the colour bond fence across the bottom and up the posts this then discharged down the side of the shed so we then put a row of sleepers down the side so that the water would then run across the back behind all of the fence not allowing the water to come through. It  now runs down the side of the yard and discharges down the side of the house and  what our drains does not collect it then runs out into the street.

For the first time in years we have not been out the back in pouring rain sweeping the water away from the house. Most times calling SES for sand bags to stop water entering the house.

Actually the last time SES came they suggested putting the and bags at the back fence but the boss then told them they couldn't do that but w thought why had we not thought of this stopping the water from the source.

So that is why we spent the time and money to do this and so far fingers crossed it is working.

When we had this last torrential rain it was so nice to sit back and watch the flooding go down the side of the house and out into the street.

Hopefully this will continue.

I hope this helps and if the team think it would help I would be prepared for you to see what we did.

Barbara35
Cultivating a Following

We found that treated pine sleepers with post cemented into the ground with the first sleeper half into the ground and about three sleepers high.

We also cemented  along the bottom of the sleepers and put silicone in the joins.

It is fantastic to hear that you solved your issue @Barbara35. Feel free to post some images if you would like.

Mitchell

Hi Barbara35,

@Barbara35

I read about your ordeal and it sounds just like what I am currently going through after my next door neighbours did landscaping and pool construction.  The stormwater that used to enter their property from the uphill neighbour has now been redirected to my property.  I now have a river flowing along the shared fence line.  The ferocity and volume of water is alarming.  I too was sweeping stormwater from my back patio from 1am until 4am during a recent storm.  My property has sustained a lot of damage as a result.  I am planning on putting some drainage but from what you have described, it seems that I will also need to install a retaining wall.  May I ask who did you get to do the retaining wall?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects