Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas wanted for outdoor sideway

amichaelmedia
Cultivating a Following

Ideas wanted for outdoor sideway

Hey all

Looking for advice and or inspiration for a dead space I have between my garage and my neighbours garage. It is at the end of a sleeper paved walkway.

Shed, hot tub, chubby house have all crossed my mind. Thought I'd put it out there and see what anyone has done in the past 

PXL_20230911_044613675.jpg

PXL_20230911_044619265.jpg

PXL_20230911_044624588.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ideas for outdoor space

Hello @amichaelmedia 

Thanks for sharing your question about getting ideas for your outdoor space. In this particular instance, I can only suggest putting in items that don't need to be anchored. There are some very specific council rules regarding the use of the space between your garages. If you do decide to build something in between, I suggest checking your local council rules regarding installing permanent structures between garages.

Because the space is quite narrow, I suggest thinking about installing a vegetable garden on your side or perhaps a water feature. It would make an ideal spot for darts.

Here's a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular raised garden beds

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournereno, @craftyhopper and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let me know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: ideas for outdoor space

Hi there @amichaelmedia I personally would not over do it, less is more. Maybe put a nice screen on the timber fence. Render the walls maybe ? Flooring could be nice large size pavers. And then a couple of feature pots. I love @EricL  suggestion of a water feature, that would be lovely. Eric I love Darts !!!!! 😆 Gabion benches to sit down…… OR if there is enough sun, raised garden beds to grow edibles. Gosh you could do lots of things. I would love to see what our other Workshop Community Friends will suggest 😃 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ideas wanted for outdoor sideway

Hi @amichaelmedia,

Narrow side yards can certainly be tricky to make the most of. You might get some inspiration from what community members have shared in our collection of Ideas to revamp your side yard

I agree with Eric that a long raised garden bed could be a great feature. There's also the opportunity to make some more room in the nearby garage if you need it by installing something like bicycle storage or a small shed. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Ideas wanted for outdoor sideway

Good Afternoon @amichaelmedia 

I hadnt considered the ruling about what can be done next to a garage :surprised: So I am glad I saw @EricL's comment.

I like the idea of some sort of timber seating  with some outside festoon light strings. I saw an idea on Gardening Australia of a metal rubish bin with a 90*90* 2.4m post standing up in it and the bin filled with rocks to give it a rock steady base (lol) I really like this idea as its permanant and non permanant at the same time. You could plant out the top of the bins with flowers or fill with smaller rocks, nothing is mounted on the walls or dug into the ground. No concreting needed.

Gabion benches as @mich1972  sugested work well :smile: Tho I am biased as I love them. and have installed a fair few around the yard. 

With the posts you go grow vines or even grapes between them tho not sure how much sun you get between the two walls.

There was a project in here that had an ouside alcove lined with windows into their house and a center light that they retrofitted themselves. I cant find it but it made an area that looked a little dead alive again :smile: 

Cant wait to see what you do with the area :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects