Ask a question

How to increase fence height?

David1996
Just Starting Out

How to increase fence height?

IMG_5324.png

IMG_5323.png

  

Hey Guys 

I would like to increase my fence height for security . The fence is currently 120mm tall wooden picket fence, I was wondering if their would be anyway to increase the height without ripping the current fence, I’ve been thinking off drilling a trellace but would like to know any other ideas out their 

thanks guys 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Increase Fence Height

Hi @David1996,

The first thing to do is check with your local council to ensure you can raise the fence further. Many localities have restrictions on front fence height, so you might find that 1200mm is the maximum in your area. 

If you added an additional rail at the top of the post, there is the possibility of switching out the pickets for 1500mm lengths. To go to 1800mm you'd need to extend the posts. As you've touched on there are a variety of trellises and screening products that could be easily attached to the current fence. However, to achieve a visually appealing look, you might need to try some of the screening panels and see how they look with your fence. 

Another option would be to add a plant screening behind the fence. Here's a helpful guide: How to choose a screening plant.

Let me mention a few of our talented members @DIY4Knuckleheds, @Dave-1, @Jewelleryrescue  and @Nailbag to see if they have any suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @David1996 I agree with @MitchellMc recommendation to check with the council on max fence height regs. 1800mm is common

To gain that height will require extending the posts to add the supporting rails and then of course taller pickets. So, the suggestion of planting privacy tress/ahrubs would be a simpler solution and wouldnt impact council regs. Though you will still have the gates to deal with in either cases with heights, which would require replacement. 

regards Nailbag. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @David1996 

Tricky question, I know various councils hav differant rukings on it so as @MitchellMc suggests Id check out your local councils website (Mine has it within all their rulings)

Looking at your two gates they may need work to support a higher fence. Is that a timber frame on the back or a steel frame for the gates?

A question I just thought of, security from outside the yard? or to keep a pet in the yard? If its a jumping dog or a cat that likes to wander I have seen a setup with a wire strung between the posts and a piece of conduit over the wire so the pets cant grab it (It will spin) 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects