Workshop
Ask a question

How to install James Hardie HardiePlank weatherboards on boundary fence?

ashleighfreeman
Just Starting Out

How to install James Hardie HardiePlank weatherboards on boundary fence?

IMG_1490.jpeg

Hi community, 

In need of some direction and advice please. 

I’m wanting to use JH hardieplank weatherboards to go over my timber fence and complete my pool surrounds. However, I have no idea what prep is needed and where I have to start. 

Photo of timber boundary fence attached. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: James Hardie HardiePlank Weatherboards on boundary fence

Hello @ashleighfreeman 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about installing JH HardiePlank weatherboards on your fence. 

I suggest having a close look at this discussion - How to install weatherboard fencing? by @diy_hausdesigns. It shows an excellent example of how you can mount HardiePlank weatherboards onto your existing fence.

Before you begin, I suggest checking your fences structural integrity and replacing any rails or panels that have deteriorated. The general steps to installation are to build framing to hang the panels off. If you are building it to the thickness of the rails, you'll need to use the same sized timber. 

Please make sure to use H3 treated timber so that it is rated for outdoor use. Unless you are planning on having a complete wall of HardiePlank with the posts hidden you'll need to use bigger timber. Please note that doing this will add significant weight to your fence. My best advice is to measure your fence so that you can find out how many panels you'll be needing. 

Here is a link to the installation brochure: ™ Linea™Weatherboard

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects