Workshop
Ask a question

Are Jarrah DAR lengths suitable for external use?

GregM
Finding My Feet

Are Jarrah DAR lengths suitable for external use?

Hello all - I am wanting to build a jarrah outdoor gate about 1200W (so the current ones already built in the store are not suitable at 900W) - does anyone know if the Jarrah DAR lengths (so don't have the reeding on one side as the decking lengths do) are suitable for external use? 

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Are Jarrah DAR lengths suitable for external use?

Hello @GregM 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about Jarrah DAR lengths.

Allow me to make some enquires regarding Jarrah lengths. As soon as I or my friends have more information, we'll get back to you. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GregM,

Jarrah is a hardwood, so it's suitable for exterior use. However, you will need to oil it periodically or apply a varnish for protection. 

Apart from reeded decking, there doesn't appear to be any Jarrah DAR lengths stocked within our stores. Was there a product you'd found? 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

There are Jarrah DAR in the same aisle as the shorter skirt trims, other DAR timbers (all the normal internal timbers) and dressed pine lengths etc

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GregM,

I've called a few of our Western Australian stores and haven't been able to locate a stock of DAR Jarrah. Previously, we have stocked selected lengths, and perhaps your local has some left. Regardless, as mentioned previously, Jarrah is suitable for external use, but oiling or adding a protective coat will extend its lifespan and keep it looking fantastic.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects