Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Large window and door gaps for new house

borepug
Finding My Feet

Large window and door gaps for new house

I'm having a house built. The builder demanded lining progress payment claim but the issues raised in the pre-lining stage are not yet fixed(Issue raised over 3 months ago). Most of our windows and doors have large gaps, some exceeding 5cm. The builder said they would be fixed with angles but I have never seen a house with such a big gap in between and it did not happen for the last two houses I built with different builders and I questioned whether this is a quality issue and angles might not do the job Could you please help me to take a look at these gaps and advice whether these defects are normal and whether by installing angles they can be fixed. Or  should I wait till these are fixed before making any payment.

20230909_093048.jpg

20230909_093023.jpg

20230909_091555.jpg

20230909_091211.jpg

20230909_091040.jpg

Also attaching a picture showing one of the only windows that was installed correctly.

20230909_093138.jpg

 Thanks a lot for your help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Large window and door gaps for new house

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @borepug. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about window and door gaps.

It sounds like it would be worth enlisting the services of a private building inspector/certifier to consult with over your project. They'll be able to answer any questions you have on compliance and offer solutions so your build can move forward.

As our members are not privy to what methods your builder intends to use to rectify these gaps, it would be difficult for them to provide guidance at this time.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks, Mitchell. I was just trying to understand whether this is normal and whether anyone who has built a house before has seen similar things like this. I will get hold of the private certifier to ask them whether this is ok.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's not unusual to have gaps around window frames @borepug, but it is how the builder addresses them that is important. A private certifier will be able to tell you whether any construction codes are not being followed and if there is cause for concern.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects