Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need low fence garden bed ideas

DiyGal30
Just Starting Out

Need low fence garden bed ideas

Screenshot_20240331_224626_Gallery.jpg

Hello.

My Fence height is lower than the height of my paver/level of house.

I was hoping to put a garden bed around here with some type of small trees for more privacy. But concerned with the low fence base in comparison to the paver height.

Can anyone suggest anything??

I put some sand to the height of the pavers but figured the base in-between the plinth and Fence sheet would bow out and it did slightly so moved the sand level lower down. So now still lower than the paver/house level.

To clairfy: The height of the pavers is higher than the fence bottom. The fence has a plinth then the base of the fence then the sheet and top bar.

The bottom bar above the plinth is lower than the pavers height. 

I'm not sure what to do. Thought about just mulching this section as it's light? But any suggestions please 🙏  

PLEASE HELP

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need low fence garden bed ideas

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DiyGal30. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a garden bed.

There are certainly options there, including mulching the area. If you do want to create a space to plant some small shrubs, I'd recommend pulling the sand and soil back from the plinth and installing another plinth on top of it that comes further up the fence. It can be secured with plinth pegs. This will give you a structure to build your soil up against to the level the area without all the pressure of it pushing directly on the fence.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Need low fence garden bed ideas

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DiyGal30.

I trust you found Mitch's reply helpful. Let me tag some other community members to see if they could share their thoughts on how they would tackle this challenge:

@JacobZ95@diy_hausdesigns@TedBear@Jimi 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects