Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Oil or stain recommendation for my deck

vg_39
Cultivating a Following

Oil or stain recommendation for my deck

Hi guys,

I have been sanding my deck and fence around the deck for last few days and it has turned out to be nice so far. I am attaching the photos of before and after sanding.

I am at a stage to clean the deck and then oil/ stain it. Considering this is my first diy, I am considering using intergrain product as I have read it’s easy and long lasting.please correct me if there are better products in market that I should look into.

I am seeking guidance on below:-

1) Which product of intergrain should I use on my deck. I would prefer a product which helps me not to sand my deck again as it’s too hard. Also, I want lower maintainence.

2) colour options of oil or stain. I am currently considering between Merabu and Walnut for deck and some darker shade for the fence (Perhaps Jarrah for fence).I have read that the colours on old decks can be inconsistent with what’s shown on the label of these products. I would prefer a colour which works on the older wood deck as per the pics below.

The deck is old, close to swimming pool and I don’t exactly know the wood type. All I know is that the deck was built 30 years ago. Looking at the colour of the wood, it’s perhaps cedar or treated pine.

Thank you for your time and I will keep posting the progress of the deck

2FD25396-AADD-44D3-9A67-19FA89899C9C.jpeg

Before sanding deck above 

CAFE77C4-3F40-4F6B-9670-4985F3DEC06E.png

Before sanding the fence above

B44C4635-3FC6-4BA1-B729-2EB33B66CE50.png

After sanding fence

F90A3958-747E-41B4-8105-7271E0DB2CEF.jpeg

 deck after sanding above

6D3ED25F-83E7-492D-BA6E-10412DD95373.jpeg

zoom in on deck after sanding 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Oil or stain recommendation for my deck

Hello @vg_39

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's awesome to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about staining your deck.

There are quite a few choices when it comes to oiling and staining your deck. But before you make your choice, I suggest cleaning your deck with Intergrain 1L UltraPrep Timber Cleaner to revive your timber deck and remove the grey tone that's currently on your decking panels. Integrain oil comes in different stains they are Natural, Jarrah, Merbau and Spotted Gum. 

Because your deck is natural timber any product you put on it will eventually fade and deteriorate. It will be necessary to update and maintain the finish of your deck. I recommend visiting your local store and going to the deck sample finish board in the paint department so that you can actually see what the oil stains look like. Please keep in mind that due to the age of your timber deck, some stains and oils could come out darker.

Once you've made your choice, I suggest testing a small corner of your deck and letting it dry off so that you can see if you like the finish. If it is agreeable you can then commit the entire deck.

Here is a link to our best advice: What decking oil do you recommend?

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vg_39
Cultivating a Following

217167FF-941F-419C-B546-49E0EA4EEAE8.jpeg

Thanks Eric for the post

i eventually went with merabu and my deck now looks like this with two coats.

On a seperate note, for the gate, I used cetol hlse mahagony.  

676DEB8E-B4F6-4B74-9557-741AE584377C.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well done @vg_39, many thanks for coming back and sharing your results.

Let us know if you need a hand for the next project. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects