Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor Paving

Jen
Getting Established

Outdoor Paving

We have had to have part of our front pavers re laid for the 2nd time in the past 5 years as they keep on lifting.  The area is approximately 6 meters x 1 meter and they are red clay pavers, the driveway etc. is fine.  Can anyone advise what else can be done as the tradesmen just keep filling it with sand and re laying.  Would dolomite or some other kind of filling help to stop it from moving. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Outdoor Paving

Hi @Jen,

Welcome to Workshop. Thanks for joining the community and making your first post. I trust that Workshop members will have some helpful information and suggestions for you regarding your paving. I take it they are not lifting due to tree roots?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Sorry @Jen, do you know what is causing the pavers to lift up? Would you consider getting them laid on a concrete base?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Welcome Jen
If I were you, I'd be calling the "tradesmen" back in to fix the problem, or insist on a refund (if it's the same tradies). They've only applied bandaids by adding sand & relaying.
As Isobel said, you need to identify what is causing the problem, I suspect it could be roots from a nearby tree, & they need to be dealt with, before relaying the pavers.
I confess that the pavers that I laid over 30 years ago here at home, were only set in building sand, but it was/is a light traffic area. Incidentally, our pavers are lifting now because of our root issue, but it's not serious enough that I've had to deal with it.
I'm physically pathetic compared to those earlier days, but if I had to do it tomorrow, I'd lift the pavers with a large screwdriver at the raised areas, use the same screwdriver to loosen the soil around the roots, & remove the sand around the roots by hand. I'd then assess whether I could cut out a section at a time of the roots with loppers, or a plumber's wire saw (used for cutting PVC) to make the cuts.
Once the offending roots are removed, it's only a matter of filling, & tamping the void. The sand won't be enough on its own, but don't rush off for more sand, just add some soil from your property, it'll do fine.
Lay the pavers onto your flat bed of sand, & let them settle over time without tamping. If an area subsides, lift those pavers, repack with some sand/soil & plop the pavers back on top.
It may take time to reach perfection, but it won't be back breaking work.
Please, feel free to ignore this post if it's not physically possible for you to do what I suggest.
Jen
Getting Established

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply.  I'ts definitely not tree roots.  We've been told it's movement in the ground.  The pavers are mostly sinking and some look like they have been laid on a slope but it's not every paver in line, it might be one paver and then the third one down etc.

Jen
Getting Established

Hi Jason

Thanks for your help today and your reply.  It's definitely not tree roots.  We were told that this is happening because movement in the ground.

Jen
Getting Established

Hi Isobel

Thanks for your reply.  We have been told they are lifting because of movement in the ground.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects