Workshop
Ask a question

How to repaint a metal letterbox?

Yabbie
Finding My Feet

How to repaint a metal letterbox?

Hello,

I have a weathered letterbox.  It's metal and been painted or powder coated (?).  As can be seen in the photos below, some of the paint has come off.

I'd like to paint it.  I was planning on just using a paint brush (vs spraying or the like).  I was going to use some Dulux Weathershield that I have left over.

What prep do I need to do?  Just a rough sand back?  Sand back to bare metal?  Do I need to undercoat, if so, what should I use?

Thanks!LB1.jpgLB2.jpgLB3.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Prep required for painting letterbox

Hello @Yabbie 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about painting your letterbox.

This is the perfect time to revamp your letterbox as the rust has not made any significant damage to the metal body. I suggest sanding the damaged areas very well making sure to remove all the rust that has developed on the surface of the letterbox and post. A rough sanding of the surface will be adequate as there is no need to strip the box back to metal.

I recommend using the Dulux Precision 1L All Metal Primer - 1L to prime the surface of the letterbox. You can then use your Dulux Weathersheild, to refresh your letterbox. My team member did point out to me that the Sandleford White Economy Dune Post Mounted Letterbox is an excellent alternative, if you are after an affordable replacement.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects